TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT
TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS ARCHITECT
NATURE OF WORK
This is highly advanced professional work designing, architecting and implementing information technology (IT) systems and services. The incumbent is responsible for defining technical solutions that take into account customer requirements, enterprise architecture strategies and current state environment. The incumbent will also serve as project manager, leading cross-functional teams through solutions architecture, design, and implementation activities. Work in this classification is distinguished from the Principal Information Technology Specialist by the advanced level of technological expertise in systems design and architecture, scope, complexity and criticality of assigned systems, and project responsibilities. Work is performed under the general direction of an IT Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
(This list is not absolute or restrictive, but indicates approximate duties and responsibilities which may be redefined pursuant to operational needs.)
● Acts as a senior team leader responsible for structuring complex solutions and delivering IT services.
● Provides technical guidance and architectural recommendations for designing, building, testing, deploying and maintaining highly available, scalable, and secure applications, systems and services.
● Provides long-range strategic planning activities for the Senate in the areas of modern IT systems and services.
● Monitors the impact of technological developments; identifies emerging technologies and scopes potential Senate utility.
● Leads product evaluations and technical studies and task forces; directs pilot testing programs; analyzes new technology for its impact on the Senate environment; tests new releases on Senate supported platforms; develops product configuration standards for use in the Senate environment; recommends strategic direction for the Senate.
● Creates Enterprise Architecture governance guidelines and enables adherence to the same within crossfunctional teams.
● Creates and reviews system architectures; analyzes system requirements and ensures that systems will be effectively integrated with current applications.
● Partners with key stakeholders to translate wants into essential needs; identifies points of leverage and efficiencies.
● Presents new solutions and justifications for funding, deployment and support to the CIO, member offices, and executive level SAA staff as required.
● Mentors and coaches project staff assigned to implementation teams.
● Provides expert-level technical support on Senate hardware, software and network systems to vendors, other technical staff, and other divisions and departments; resolves critical and complex systems, applications or communications performance problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work requires sitting and operating a computer for extended periods, with occasional standing, climbing, pulling and safely lifting up to 25 pounds. May occasionally work evenings or weekends to resolve problems or handle incidents.
Work requires a Bachelor’s Degree in IT or a related technical area; and eight to ten years of relevant IT experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
● Knowledge of IT software, hardware and network communication technology and protocols.
● Knowledge of operating systems, database systems, storage systems, virtual infrastructure and cloud solutions.
● Knowledge of infrastructure in a diverse IT environment.
● Knowledge of systems scaling and failover techniques applicable in data center and cloud environments.
● Knowledge of technology industry trends and emerging technologies.
● Knowledge of systems analysis and integration methodologies.
● Knowledge of IT services and operations frameworks.
● Ability to plan, direct, assign, supervise and evaluate project teams and task forces.
● Ability to execute or lead; provide hands-on individual contributions and motivate cross-functional teams toward new goals.
● Ability to provide policy direction to management.
● Ability to analyze, evaluate, troubleshoot and resolve complex and critical system hardware, software or networking related problems.
● Ability to plan and conduct hardware, software and network testing and evaluation programs.
● Ability to prepare and maintain requirements analysis documents, system design documents and user correspondence.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Senate office and committee staffs, the public, and Senate executive management, managers, supervisors, and subordinates.
● Ability to communicate effectively.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.