Director of Sales and Marketing
The University of Maryland Alumni Association seeks a Director of Sales & Marketing who will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer and CFO. They will be responsible for the event sales & marketing of the Riggs Alumni Center to meet/exceed the annual revenue goal of $1M. The Director manages all event operations in the Riggs Alumni Center, leading a team of 5-7 staff and contractors to execute over 400 events annually. In addition, they serve as a consultant to other staff within the division for their events at the Riggs Alumni Center.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Directly responsible for the sales & marketing of the Riggs Alumni Center and all event operations in the center.
- Responsible for a $1+ million dollar revenue goal for the rental of the alumni center event space.
- Supervision of the Event Management team and contractors who are responsible for the day-to-day operations of events that are held at the Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center.
- Prepare annual performance reviews, make recommendations, conduct team meetings, and oversee scheduling for the sales & event operations team.
- Lead projects associated with the sales and event operations of the alumni center including:
- setting budgets for revenue targets, marketing and rental expenses;
- preparing financial reports, monitoring budget to actual;
- researching & creating marketing plans to maximize sales of the alumni center;
- review, negotiate and oversee vendor contracts;
- develop policies and procedures to assist in meeting revenue goals, while safeguarding the organization assets & organization risk exposure
- streamline technology and event processes & procedures to ensure effective results.
- Maintain necessary venue permits & licensing to include liquor, special entertainment and food service licenses
- Serve in professional associations directly related to the hospitality industry.
- Monitor quality control of all events and ensure top-rate customer service.
- Participate in campus committees to keep apprised of what is taking place in the industry and across campus to assess impact on the events occurring at the Center.
- Manage a number of high level client events which will periodically require working evenings and weekends.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree required.
A minimum of eight years of experience managing and personally implementing the entire event cycle for a variety of events targeted towards large and small diverse audiences. Successful candidates must have experience working with budgets, vendor negotiations, and contracting. Candidates must also demonstrate experience developing and successfully implementing marketing plans, as well as have experience managing and training staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent creativity, idea generation, and on-target solutions for the development and enhancement of events.
- Strong leadership and organization skills.
- Proven results in an event sales/marketing role within the hospitality industry.
- Strong knowledge of, and relationships with, event-related vendors including florists, audiovisual, linens, special effects, gifts and favors, and other service providers.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-quality, high-relationship environment.
- Skilled in discovering and anticipating client needs, and designing creative event solutions.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven prospecting and follow up selling abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.