IT Security Engineer - DIT, UMD
IT Security Engineer
Position #: 111373
Manage enhancements to the campus IT security architecture from concept phase through finished product. Investigate new and different ways to increase overall security through improvements to existing solutions or implementation of new technology or programmatic solutions. Detect internet attacks and attackers. Research new techniques and ensure that appropriate enhancements are applied to the campus network. Provide IT Security solutions and consultations to university departments and other units within the Division of IT. Provide assistance to academic and research programs involving cybersecurity. Advise faculty and students on operational best security practices.
This job requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field and 3-5 years of experience in the field of IT Security.
Must have experience with several of the following task areas:
- Developing and implementing security projects and programs;
- Understanding the operating principles of network security devices including intrusion detection and prevention systems, and firewalls;
- Understanding the operating principles and managing the use of Next-Gen Anti-Virus/Endpoint Detection and Response tools such as FireEye;
- Understanding how to use and manage log management and security event information management tools such as Splunk and Splunk Enterprise Security.
- Understanding the techniques and goals of cyber-attackers;
- Understanding threat intelligence and indicators of compromise collection;
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages – Perl, Python, PHP, or PowerShell;
- Windows, Linux, MacOS X system administration;
- A minimum of six years of broad experience in the field of IT;
- Experience supporting cybersecurity in a Higher Education IT environment;
- Proficiency with scripting languages (Python, Perl, Ruby, etc);
- Experience supporting security in cloud based environments.
- Holds a profession certification (GCIA, GCIH, CEH, OSCP, CISSP, etc);
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards. Must have the ability to lift and small carry parcels, packages and other items and to walk short distances. Some periods of time may be spent in data centers and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting.
Best consideration date: 09/01/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/86099 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.