Lead Network Engineer
Lead Network Engineer
Position #: 106468
This position provides overall design, development and support for the network infrastructure. This may involve the entire life cycle management and support of a variety of network entities such as routers and switches, traffic shapers, VPN systems, firewalls, IPS systems, load balancers, wireless access points (APs), wireless LAN controllers (WLCs), and AAA systems. This position also involves planning, designing, and implementing network infrastructure projects, and the sustaining engineering of these network platforms. The engineer should be able to work both independently and as part of a team. This includes meeting with the stakeholders, gathering requirements, pulling in resources within the team and outside in order to coordinate their efforts, create and present designs, oversee the implementation of the project and handoff support to the Operations Organization. Documentation is a critical component of this position. Design documents will contain diagrams, purpose statements, stakeholder requirements, test plans, required personnel and hardware resources, costs estimates and schedules.
Other duties include managing network resources such as installed fiber, and wireless maps, and assisting in the management of the network management, performance monitoring and other support systems. This position requires an understanding of network security and may require the development and deployment of network security services. This position requires presentation skills so that the engineer can create and present designs and training material to medium size audiences (< 50). This is a critical component of the position as the engineer will be required to market the department’s solutions to stakeholders. These presentations may involve public speaking, utilization of current technology tools such as video clips and social networks and/or written communications. This position also requires the mentoring of junior personnel within the Division of IT. This can involve a considerable amount of effort and time. This involves training, shadowing, guiding, and reviewing of work. It may also involve the engineer’s time to assist in the duties of the junior that he/she is mentoring to ensure the work/troubleshooting is being performed properly.
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related technical fields.
At least 5 to 7 years of very large-scale network (WAN/LAN) engineering. Significant experience in large scale, mission critical networks (i.e. ISP/Internet/eCommerce/ASP/Web hosting/Large Enterprise).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
Subject matter expertise in three or more of the following technical areas, with significant wireless network and IP networking knowledge and experience required. :
● Routing (IPv4 and IPv6),
● Ethernet switching standards and protocols,
● large-scale wireless network design and operation,
● multicast protocols,
● network management principles,
● network security principles,
● data center network design and operation,
● network capacity planning,
● DNS and/or DHCP.
Technical knowledge of, and experience working with, two of the following three technology vendors:
● Cisco routers and switches (ASR 9000, Nexus 7700 and 9300, Catalyst 9300, 9400 and 9500), firewalls and VPNs, and Cisco Wireless Infrastructure (APs, 8540 and 9800 WLCs, Cisco Prime, Cisco ISE).
● Palo Alto firewalls (7000 and 5200 series) and Panorama management system.
● ArubaOS-CX switches (6000 and 8300 series), wireless Access Points (300 and 500 series), 7200 WLCs, Mobility Master and ClearPass platforms, and AirWave management platform.
Technical knowledge and experience of network systems, protocols, and standards such as: TCP/IP, NAT, 802.1X, PIM-SM, RADIUS, IEEE 802.3 and related Ethernet standards, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax wireless standards, OSPFv2, OSPFv3, IS-IS, MP-BGP, policy-based routing and BGP EVPN VXLAN network design and implementation.
Technical knowledge of network management, network performance measurement and analysis tools and techniques such as SNMP, Netflow, Network Sniffers or similar devices or programs.
Technical knowledge and experience of IPAM, and NTP.
Technical knowledge and experience of application load balancing devices and techniques.
Technical knowledge and experience of packet rate shaping devices and techniques.
● Perform public speaking and present personal ideas in group sessions and market solutions.
● Meet with customers and obtain specific requirements.
● Independence of judgment and initiative.
● Identify problems in the enterprise network infrastructure and propose solutions.
● Design, implement and support distribution network, data center network infrastructure and network security devices services.
● Integrate disparate systems.
● Identify functions that can be improved by process development and implementation.
● Prepare purchase requisitions, and SOWs with executive summaries and backup documentation.
● Participate in professional training programs and conduct presentations.
● Instruct and coach others fairly.
● Give and accept constructive criticism.
● Flexibility and ability to grow and contribute in a changing environment.
● Effective communication at all levels.
● Analytic skills and ability to contribute new thoughts and participate in collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
● Creativity, originality, and ingenuity in the many technical and human situations encountered in professional service.
Network related certifications such as CCNA, and CCNP are desirable.
Experience in a higher education environment is preferred, but not required.
● Design, implementation, and support of the InfoBlox DNS, DHCP and IP Address Management (DDI) infrastructure, in-depth knowledge of DHCP and DNS within the Infoblox DDI.
● Administration, installation, configuration, upgrading, and troubleshooting experience with Server Operating Systems, including: Windows, UNIX (Linux/FreeBSD).
● Automating network infrastructure using programming/scripting languages and techniques in Perl, Python, PHP, Ansible, etc. Must understand Concepts such as playbooks, variables, functions, etc.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: ability to move, transport, and maneuver telecommunication equipment and supplies weighing up to 30lbs from trucks/loading docks to campus locations for installation or testing.
Best consideration date: 09/06/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/86054 [ejobs.umd.edu]