The American Society for Investigative Pathology (ASIP) mission is to promote the discovery, advancement, and dissemination of basic and translational knowledge in experimental pathology and related disciplines. This shall be achieved by fostering investigation into the pathogenesis, classification, diagnosis, and manifestations of disease through meetings, publications, and educational activities.
ASIP is seeking an Editorial Assistant, responsible for ensuring quality standards of articles published in The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics (JMD), both in print and in electronic formats, by managing the timely peer-review of new and revised manuscripts along with assisting with pre- and post-acceptance style/formatting issues. Serves as the primary point of contact for the main JMD email address.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages peer review for all new and revised submissions to JMD.
- Initiates contact with reviewers and monitors timely assignment of reviewers to manuscripts.
- Contacts delinquent reviewers to ensure delivery of manuscript critiques.
- Resolves problems and queries for authors, editors, and reviewers.
- Proofreads and sends decision letters to authors.
- Facilitates conversations with Editors as necessary related to any issues
- Maintains manuscript files for accepted papers and coordinates with the Production Editor when accepted manuscripts are finalized and ready to submit for publication.
- Manages the primary email and phone contacts for JMD.
- Assists authors with formatting and style questions for text, figure, table, etc. during the peer review/revision process; ensures that formatting/style revisions are clearly communicated to authors.
- Reviews online journal and other electronic formats (Health Advance site, Science Direct site, iPad app, etc.) for correct presentation of the electronic issue and for compliance with free access notations.
- Maintains accuracy of editorial masthead, in print and online Assists with updating Instructions to Authors and Journal Scientific Integrity Policy as needed. Also aids to keeping the Style Guide up to date.
- Oversees compliance with Standard Operating Procedures for AMP-sponsored and AMP-owned articles.
- Assists with scheduling and formatting of meeting abstracts (AMP annual meeting and AMP Global Congress) in JMD.
- Assists the Managing Editor in preparation of statistics and other materials for annual society meetings as well as the annual Editorial Board meeting for JMD.
- Participates in Elsevier-led JMD strategy meetings.
- Participates in society-level discussions regarding promotional campaigns, advertising, etc. for JMD.
- Participates in teleconferences with the EICs of AJP and JMD to discuss current issue, resolve problems, and plan future content and directives.
- Monitors Society of Scholarly Publishing, Council of Science Editors, and other listservs/blogs for issues that impact the Journals and Societies.
- Participates in AMP Publications Committee teleconferences and meetings; participates in publications-related portions of ASIP committee teleconferences; furnishes relevant statistics and other information as needed.
Other duties as assigned in support of Societies as related to the Journals and as a backup for the peer review process for The American Journal of Pathology.
Positions may be reassigned, and responsibilities may be modified or changed at any time to fulfill organizational requirements.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required in Biology/English preferred
- 1 – 3 years’ experience preferred
- Publishing experience, peer review ideal
- Comfortable working in a web-based environment
- Experience in project management preferred
- Strong communications skills both verbally and written
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to details
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Proficient in MS Word and the internet
This is a full-time, nonexempt position. ASIP offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter and salary requirements with your resume.
To learn more about ASIP please visit https://www.asip.org/
ASIP is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.