Peer Review Coordinator
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work for academia, government, large pharmaceutical companies, small biotech companies, and non-profit organizations. Our members' research efforts help develop new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET is seeking a Peer Review Coordinator to process manuscripts submitted to assigned journals through peer review and post accepted papers. Provide journal issue oversight and update website content. Respond promptly to questions from authors, editors, reviewers, and colleagues. Serve as an engaged and involved team member; support and actively contribute to an office culture dedicated to superior customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process manuscripts via online submission system for assigned journals through all stages of peer review.
- Ensure that mandatory submission requirements and style guidelines are followed; work with authors to provide corrected or missing items in a timely manner, as needed.
- Assign journal editors to evaluate new submissions and any pertinent information to help with the review of the manuscript.
- Solicit reviewers to evaluate the manuscript and assure that the reviews are submitted on time. Check reviewer availability, follow up with overdue reviews, and communicate with associate editor when problems arise.
- Process manuscript decisions and note formatting issues that must be fixed by the authors.
- Ensure that all source files, figures, tables, and related content such as data supplements, are received for the manuscript.
- Ensure that copyright, authorship responsibility, permissions, and other forms are appropriately signed and received for every accepted manuscript before exporting files to the compositor.
- Ensure that author publication charges (APCs) for open access articles are paid before manuscript is published.
- Ensure that authors address image forensics issues and provide revised figures when requested.
- Post accepted papers along with supplemental data files to Fast Forward, the publish-ahead-of-print module.
Journal Issue Oversight:
- Assure that manuscripts, issue lineup, and other materials required for each issue are sent to the compositor according to schedule.
- Work with the editor to select a cover image and the authors to provide permission and a figure caption on any author-suggested covers.
- Review page proofs for table of contents, issue cover, and editorial board.
- Prepare cropped images for journal carousels as each issue is posted.
- Handle email messages coming to multiple e-mail boxes; messages may include but not be limited to manuscript status, workflow issues, policy questions, and technical support.
- Coordinate manuscript-related issues with editors through consultations via online submission system and through email.
- Communicate with editors, associate editors, and authors on procedures and status of manuscripts.
- Keep the Peer Review Manager informed of workload and in-house turnaround times.
- Communicate with the compositor about issue content, special sections, cover graphics, etc.
- Post journal content alerts on new editors, special sections, and other material.
- Provide technical support via email and telephone to authors, reviewers, and editors related to the manuscript system.
- Work with Editors in Chief and Associate Editors on submission, production, and scheduling of special issues and/or minireviews.
- Provide assistance and back-up for Peer Review Manager and other journal staff when needed.
- Update website HTML content as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- College degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 2 years of office experience; Peer Review Journal experience preferred. Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel, databases, and manuscript tracking software
- Novice in updating website HTML content
This is a full-time, nonexempt position. ASPET offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter and salary requirements with your resume.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.