IT Software Engineer
IT Software Engineer
Position #: 126488
The Software Engineer maintains, implements, and integrates both on premise and hosted systems using primarily Java and web-based technologies. The position is hands-on, agile, team-based development. The Software Engineer is responsible for:
- Implementing software applications within a development team.
- Following a formal development methodology and working within scheduled timelines.
- Participating in peer code reviews, documentation, and formal testing.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in computer science or related field, required.
- Experience with Java as a language and platform
- Knowledge of object oriented principles; software design; use of design patterns
- Understanding of established software engineering standards and methodologies including some or all of the following: creation and use of Use Cases, UML modeling, source control, documentation, and unit testing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, paired with ability to express complex technical concepts effectively
- Experience working productively in a software engineering team in the design, development, and implementation of a software module/component
- Familiarity with java web application environments (Servlets, JSP, HTML, CSS)
- Familiarity with Spring frameworks, databases (preferably Oracle), and data binding tools (ORM, XML)
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: sedentary work. Employee will need to be able to sit for long periods of time to work on a computer, as well as travel occasionally to meet with clients and customers on and off campus.
Best consideration date: 08/29/2021; open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/85647 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.