IT Systems Analyst, Windows Systems Administrator
IT Systems Analyst, Windows Systems Administrator
Position #: 106527
The University of Maryland Division of Information Technology (DIT) is seeking a Windows Systems Administrator to join our Platform Services team. The primary purpose of this position is to deploy, maintain, enhance, and troubleshoot system, services, configurations, roles, and core applications deployed within the Division of Information Technology’s infrastructure. Responsibilities include participating in systems planning and development of new features; proactive management of the environments as well as the forecasting of capacity needs; assisting with the deployment of new applications and services for the campus; working with campus units to utilize the centralized Microsoft services and play a key role in optimizing IT services using products within Microsoft’s System Center Suite. This individual must be a forward thinker who can proactively plan, multitask, troubleshoot, and possesses excellent organizational and communication skills.
The incumbent will also monitor system performance, investigate problems, interact with vendors, and serve as technical expert and ambassador of Microsoft technology for the campus. The position has a 24×7 support requirement, so the incumbent must be willing, able, and available to participate in a regular on-call rotation, work a flexible schedule, and respond to out-of-band emergencies when the need arises.
● Create, maintain and decommission servers running Windows Server 2016 and 2019 in on-premises and cloud environments.
● Hands-on deployment of new applications and services within a virtualized computing environment as well as providing tier II/III incident support.
● Develop increasing expertise in key technologies, focusing on virtualization within cloud environments.
● Interact directly with University staff to gather technical and business requirements, develop and implement solutions.
● Manage technologies in an enterprise environment with a drive for understanding customer needs and operational excellence.
● Communicate with vendors for upgrades and troubleshooting issues with software.
● Training and demonstration of product features and operation to non-technical customers.
● Document all platform service processes and procedures and maintain the artifacts in a document repository.
● Participate in disaster recovery (DR) planning and execution in support of customer requirements.
● Automate repetitive tasks where possible to improve service delivery and reduce operational overhead.
● Collaborate with the Security team to identify and remediate application and operating system vulnerabilities.
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education, technical certifications or training, or work experience.
● Minimum of 4 years of Microsoft systems administration, configuration and troubleshooting
● Experience creating, administering and troubleshooting Group Policies
● Experience deploying, integrating, configuring, and securing Microsoft Windows Servers 2016/2019 and Windows 10 in an Active Directory environment.
● Experience using Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager to centrally manage servers and desktops in an enterprise environment with a minimum of 1 year experience administering the MECM environment including performing upgrades and maintenance.
● Experience with patching, updating and vulnerability remediation for Windows OS and third-party applications.
● Experience with VMware virtualization in a large enterprise environment.
● Effective written and verbal communication skills.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline
● Experience managing devices with Microsoft Intune
● Proven technology expertise in more than one relevant core area such as BitLocker, IIS, PowerShell, Splunk, Tripwire, monitoring tools
● Experience maintaining virtual servers hosted in public cloud service providers, specifically AWS and/or Azure
● Working knowledge of COTS applications
● MS Certifications – MCSE: Core Infrastructure, MCSA Windows Server 2012/2016 or MCITP:Enterprise Administrator, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate
● Understanding of a higher education environment.
● Strong customer service orientation and presentation skills.
● Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
● Ability to multi-task and adjust to changing priorities
● Must assist, guide, and share information with technical and non-technical personnel
● Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment. Some periods of time may be spent in computer rooms for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 5%) requires moving and lifting of server equipment.
Best consideration date: 08/12/2021; open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/85515 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.