State Government Affairs Associate
The State Government Affairs Associate leads efforts to identify, report, and prepare chapter affiliates for action on state legislative and regulatory trends that have potential to advance planning efforts or disrupt local and regional planning. Finding opportunities to showcase the unique contributions and value of planners and planning, elevate the voice of planning with key decision makers and influencers, and build relationships with stakeholders in state level policy and advocacy positions is a key component of this role.
- APA engagement and influence on state-level policy issues is being demonstrated through timely state-focused content solutions for the planning practitioner audience that aligns with and advances APA’s strategic initiatives.
- A culture of learning, sharing, and relationship building with affiliate policy and advocacy leaders provides a steady stream of customer insights into the perception of planning in state political environments.
- Local member networks are effectively leveraged to identify unmet customer needs and opportunities for APA to meet those needs in pursuit of its strategic goals.
- APA leaders are empowered to secure positive legislative outcomes through technical assistance, training and capacity building, and guidance on strategy and tactical decisions.
- Develop content on key trends in state legislation and regulation based on issue identification and analysis; issue focus is on planning issues, land use, and community development.
- Manage the network of chapter legislative liaisons and lead training opportunities, including APA’s annual State Legislative Summit.
- Collect qualitative and quantitative data about customers through connections to state policy and advocacy networks and chapter policy development.
- Lead strategy development and provide technical assistance to APA chapters developing and enhancing their chapter legislative programs in a manner that aligns with and efficiently advances APA’s strategic goals.
- Work with colleagues in multiple departments in the development of solutions, services and activities for APA customers related to state legislative and policy issues, including education and training, publications, digital projects and other content solutions.
- Provide staff support on state legislative and regulatory issues to key leadership groups, including the Legislative and Policy Committee.
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with state policy professionals working in allied organizations and support the development of coalitions to advance APA and state-level legislative and policy priorities.
- Collaborate on the training and development of the APA grassroots program and related member engagement activities.
- Collaborate with the public affairs team in the development of APA policies, priorities and overall advocacy strategy.
- Assist in the implementation of organizational strategic initiatives and key government affairs, policy and advocacy program strategies.
- Participate, as appropriate, in interdepartmental teams to advance organizational goals and objectives.
- Conduct briefings and training sessions for targeted events and conferences related to state planning-related policy and advocacy.
- Effective speaker and writer in varied settings for diverse audiences, particularly community planners and allied partners.
- High level of emotional intelligence, flexibility, and excellent people skills.
- Strong understanding of state legislative and executive branches and related legislative process.
- Demonstrated success with trade or membership association advocacy and/or policy communications.
- A resourceful self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit who is excited to develop and advance APA’s public affairs program.
APA embraces diversity and equal opportunity in our employment practices. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our impact will be.