Director of Development
CALVERT MARINE MUSEUM SOCIETY
Director of Development
Location: Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, Maryland, USA
Salary: $80,000 - $90,000 Annually
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Director of Development is responsible for developing and leading an integrated fundraising program to support the museum, including memberships, foundation and corporate giving, and all individual giving, with an emphasis on individual donor relationships, solicitation activities, and short and long-term stewardship. The position works closely with the Museum Director and CMM Society Board of Directors. The Director of Development reports to the Museum Director and supervises the Facilities and Events Coordinator, the Membership and Fundraising Event Associate, and the Communications and Marketing Coordinator (co-supervision along with the Museum Director).
This position will be an employee of the Calvert Marine Museum Society, the non-profit arm of the museum. The Director of Development is a full-time, contract position with benefits.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop and implement a long-range fundraising strategy for the museum
- Provide administrative oversight and coordination of the Development Office
- Responsible for developing budgets, hitting revenue targets, and for raising substantial funds to help support the operating budgets of the Calvert Marine Museum and CMM Society, Inc.
- Oversee and maintain a strong fundraising infrastructure to support activities of the Development Office
- Lead an integrated fundraising program, including annual gifts programs, major and planned gifts, foundations and corporations, and endowment or capital fundraising
- Develop relationships with foundation and corporation donors and prospective donors, including proposal submissions and stewardship
- Institute major gifts and planned giving programs, including identification, cultivation, strategizing and solicitation of major and planned giving prospects
- Oversee Membership and Fundraising Event Associate in all data entry and information management activities on behalf of the Development Office
- Manage major gift, planned gift and foundation/corporation solicitations by tracking activity and adequately stewarding gifts
- Assist with researching, writing, and soliciting grants as needed
- Publish Museum Annual Reports to endowment donors with assistance from Communications and Marketing Coordinator
- Negotiates corporate and individual sponsorships for large museum and society events
- Directs and supports all fundraising efforts originating from Development Office, including Waterside Concert Series
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in non-profit management or a related field
- Five years fundraising experience, preferably in a non-profit educational setting
- A proven track record of donor solicitation and demonstrated success soliciting and closing gifts
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with fund-raising databases
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels
- Proven grant-writing experience
Accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities upon reasonable notice.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to: Jeffrey Murray, Director, Calvert Marine Museum, P.O. Box 97, Solomons, MD 20688.