As a part of the Office of Research, the Office of Research Advancement strategically pursues funding opportunities, with a targeted focus on large, multidisciplinary research projects that promote collaboration and positive societal impact. The office maintains and strengthens ties between USC investigators and federal research sponsors, tracks current and emerging funding priorities among federal agencies, and helps faculty to initiate or expand sponsored research programs. The Office of Research Advancement provides support for proposal development, including but not limited to project conceptualization, team building, proposal organization and planning, writing and copy-editing, budget preparation, and proposal submission assistance.
For more information, about the Office of Research Advancement, please visit our website at: https://ora.usc.edu/
The Office of Research Advancement is seeking a Grant Writer to join its team, to be based in either Washington, DC or Los Angeles, CA. The Grant Writer is responsible for participating in the preparation and writing of highly competitive, federal research grant proposals by assembling information to be used in background sections, preliminary studies, scientific deliverables, Gantt charts, timetables, and evaluation plans. The Grant Writer must develop a deep understanding of program content, assist with determining proposal concepts, and identify and evaluate data sources. This position also must interpret and follow federal agency regulations and requirements, and research and identify funding opportunities from a variety of sources for specific projects and programs. The Grant Writer also evaluates and redesigns processes to improve proposal-writing results, and compiles and organizes references into one coherent library or list for faculty, while maintaining awareness of trends and changes in the field of specialty.
Ideal candidates will have an academic background in a STEM or computer science field, with previous experience in an academic research environment. Prior experience working with research teams is favorable, such as in conducting literature reviews, assisting with the preparation of research grant proposals, assisting in the development of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and/or synthesizing and communicating highly technical information for diverse audiences.
- Participates in the process of preparing and writing highly competitive, technical and/or complex academic research grant proposals/applications. Revises and edits drafts provided by researchers, including executive summaries, research plans, facilities and organizational resources. Evaluates text, graphics, and binding and submits application for final group review.
- Assists in the development of proposals by assembling information to be used in background sections, preliminary studies, scientific deliverables, Gantt charts, timetables, and evaluation plans.
- Develops a deep understanding of program content to ensure integrity and quality of proposal writing. Coordinates and compiles technical, scientific and/or academic information from principal investigators and researchers as necessary for research grants, consortium grants, and training grants. Creates special reports, summaries and analyses.
- Assists with determining proposal concepts by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs. Studies requests for proposal (RFPs). Attends strategy meetings with faculty and other stakeholders. Provides assistance on proposal preparation, as needed.
- Maintains awareness and knowledge of changes in industry trends. Incorporates changes and advises researchers on best practices. Maintains subscriptions to relevant publications and memberships in professional organizations, as appropriate. Cultivates and maintains a network of professional contacts, as applicable.
- Interprets and follows sponsor regulations, requirements, guidelines and instructions. Meets proposal deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval. Coordinates requirements with contributors. Contributes proposal status information to review meetings.
- Researches, identifies and qualifies funding opportunities from corporate, foundation, and government sources for specific projects and programs. Makes recommendations whether funding organizations are a good match for projects and programs.
- Improves proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approaches, and coordination. Implements changes as needed.
- Compiles and organizes references into one coherent library or list for faculty. Builds reference libraries for faculty and other grant writers as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Master’s Degree.
- 1 year experience.
- Demonstrated experience writing effective, accurate materials of a technical, scientific and/or academic nature, working with highly complex documents and advising/assisting authors.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Academic and/or professional background in STEM/CS fields.
Apply for Grant Writer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly