Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a Carpenter I/II. Under supervision of the Supervisor Mechanical Maintenance and Assistant Supervisor Mechanical Maintenance, performs a variety of skilled carpentry tasks.
Essential functions include:
- Reading simple plans and work orders relating to all types of carpentry work to be accomplished such as: the building of cabinets, desks and a variety of different kinds of office furniture.
- Performing or assisting with a variety of projects to include assembling, making, or repairing boxes for tools and equipment, barricades, sash and window frames, door frames, doors, screens, and other wooden fixtures, replacing broken glass in doors and windows, building and erecting partitions, panels, sheet rock, sheds, scaffolding and other construction work, and installing simple locks, door checks, springs, transom blocks and other hardware measures.
- Periodically installs floors, baseboards, molding and ceiling tiles; builds concrete forms, pours and finishes concrete; paints; performs carpentry duties relating to mechanical maintenance; place masonry units including tile; and places or repairs roofing.
- Operating a variety of tools and equipment to include table, power, and sabre saws; power hacksaws, radial arm saws, drills, routers, wood working equipment and other equipment and tools; sharpens saws and other tools.
- Maintaining vehicles, assigned work areas and tools in a clean, safe, and orderly manner.
Graduation from high school supplemented by the completion of an accredited apprentice training program and a minimum of one year of related carpentry experience, or equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge. Candidate should have knowledge of the materials, methods, practices, tools, and equipment used in carpentry work. Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions of the trade. Ability to work from plans, specifications and sketches. Ability to layout and perform rough and finished carpentry work. Ability to utilize the tools, materials and equipment used to perform carpentry work. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.