Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
Immediate Job Opportunity
Starting Salary $68,173 – $99,055
The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) is seeking an experienced Billing Specialist to set up projects, invoice customers, collect receivables, analyze unbilled receivables, ensure accurate and timely billing and collection, and produce timely and useful reports to support federal and non-federal awards and agreements and other projects. This position will assist the Accounting Team in meeting the organization’s goal of providing excellent administrative and program support.
The Billing Specialist is responsible for project accounting, billing, collections, and reporting for federal and non-federal awards and agreements. He/she prepares and distributes timely and accurate customer invoices, calculates complex billing charges in accordance with award terms, reviews transactions for compliance with OMB cost principles and COG’s indirect cost allocation plan, and ensures accurate and timely information within the Deltek Costpoint project accounting system. The Billing Specialist also prepares, and files required fiscal reports, including quarterly federal financial reports, and works closely with other billing staff to ensure adequate backup and coordination of tasks. The position reports to the Senior Project Accountant.
Examples of specific tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Set up projects, invoice customers, and prepare federal drawdowns using the Deltek Costpoint project accounting system
- File quarterly federal financial reports (SF-425) and maintain monthly cash draw down schedules
- Enter, maintain and analyze project budgets in Costpoint
- Review, analyze and correct project accounting records as needed to ensure accuracy and integrity
- Monitor and review transactions and budgets to ensure compliance with OMB cost principles under 2 CFR 200, as applicable to local governments
- Calculate complex billing charges in accordance with award terms and other agreements, prepare and/or gather supporting documentation, and prepare billing invoices
- Review accounts receivable and unbilled accounts receivable details regularly to determine billing status, provide aging reports, pursue collection according to policies and procedures, and recommend adjustments as needed
- Compile, evaluate and reconcile a variety of accounting records and reports, and making arithmetic computations accurately and with reasonable speed
- Work proactively with contract and purchasing staff, and accounting staff to collaborate on billing requirements, gather documentation needed to bill, and to identify and follow up issues
- Support internal and external audits, and supplemental customer requests
- Ensure optimal and best use of Costpoint project accounting system
- Assist the Accounting Team members as needed
- Deliver excellent support for internal and external customers, ensure all deadlines are met, and maintain an excellent standard of quality on all work performed
- Perform other tasks as may be directed by management
Required Education and Work Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or a related field of study is required. Five years of experience in federal government contract or federal award billing using Deltek Cotspoint. Experience should include budget input, report generation, entering information in online automated systems, and both standard and manual billing. Experience should also include application of OMB cost principles or FAR. Financial accounting experience and advanced Excel skills are preferred, including the ability to efficiently manage large amounts of data within spreadsheets.
The ideal candidate will also have the following experience and skills:
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- a positive attitude, and a track record of working effectively and efficiently in a team environment.
- proven analytical, problem-solving and task management skills are also required
- the ability to consistently meet deadlines
COMPREHENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
Because of the nature of this position, utmost integrity is required, as well as successful completion of a comprehensive reference and background investigation.
Please send a cover letter and resume highlighting the skills and relevant experience you would bring to this position, salary requirements by visiting our website at https://www.mwcog.org/about-us/human-resources
The Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments is committed to compliance with federal and state laws requiring that MWCOG only hires workers who are lawfully entitled to work in the United States (U.S. citizens or nationals and non-citizens with valid work authorization) without discrimination. MWCOG does not sponsor Visas of any type. All persons employed by Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments are required to comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 by presenting documents to verify identity and authorization to work in the United States.
Acceptable forms of identification are listed by the Department of Homeland Security / U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
Further information can be found on MWCOG’s Human Resources webpage (https://www.mwcog.org/about-us/human-resources/).
MWCOG is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by state or federal laws in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices.