Payroll Specialist I/II/III
Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for an Payroll Specialist I/II/III. This position under general supervision of the General Accounting Supervisor, performs the day to day activities involved with payroll processing and payment of benefits for Fairfax Water. The position will be filled at either the level I, II, or III depending on the candidate selected for the position.
Essential functions include:
- Processes the biweekly payroll for employees and monthly retirement annuities and board members’ compensation.
- Follows policies and procedures for payroll processing ensuring deadlines are met.
- Reviews timesheet transaction edit reports, resolving all discrepancies with proper approvals.
- Reviews payroll validation reports, coordinating corrections and/or advising appropriate parties of possible complications with payroll processing.
- Processes payroll updates, prints reports and checks, and creates the ACH files.
- Ensures timely setup of garnishment orders and remittance of payments.
- Coordinates injury leave and worker’s compensation payments with Safety department.
- Prepares payment requests for payroll taxes and other payroll deductions.
- Processes special payrolls for manual and/or voided payroll checks.
- Processes and validates control totals for the retirement administration interface.
- Ensures various employee benefit programs are reconciled and paid.
- Assists with Fairfax Water’s travel and education programs ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, and accurate advance and expense reimbursement processing.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains payroll files and performs other administrative functions.
- Assists with SAP testing and other system support as needed.
Graduation from high school or GED supplemented by courses in accounting and bookkeeping, and a minimum of two years related payroll experience, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge. Basic knowledge of accounting principles. Must have good organizational skills, analytical skills and attention to details. Current knowledge of payroll principles and record keeping functions. Good knowledge of clerical, office and filing procedures. Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations with a high degree of accuracy.
Ability to work accurately and to meet deadlines. Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to write clearly. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and supervisors. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. SAP software experience preferred. Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.