Operating Engineer (1484)
Location: Washington, DC, US, 20016
Company: American University
This position under the direction of the Assistant Chief and 1st Class Engineers works interdependently to resolve facility issues and customer concerns. Provides support in the operation, maintenance, and repair activities associated with the University’s energy management systems. Supports the resolution of afterhours and weekend requests. May be required to handle the responsibilities of other 3rd Class Engineers, the Water Treatment Specialist, Facilities Maintenance Technician (FMT), or the Pump Maintenance Technician in their absence.
- Participates in the operation, maintenance (preventative and predictive), trouble shooting, and repair of campus thermal systems (including but not limited to steam, chilled water, and heating water), related plant equipment, water treatment systems (including but not limited to natatorium systems, boiler systems, and chiller systems) as well as maintenance and repair of domestic water & sewer campus distribution systems, and campus gas utility distribution systems to assure the fitness for use and reliability of our buildings, systems and equipment.. Trains 6th Class Engineers and FMT as required with regards to the above systems. Operates and maintains systems to meet department, reliability and energy efficiency objectives along with regulatory compliance requirements.
- Maintains records pertaining to the inspection, operation, maintenance and repair of campus thermal systems, campus domestic water & sewer distribution systems, campus gas distribution systems, water treatment systems, and related plant equipment in order to build a database from which historical data can be used to maximize scheduling and repair of critical components of the heating and cooling systems. Makes recommendations to improve the efficiency and reliability of campus managed utility systems Responsible for the proper storage and usage of tools and equipment used in the repair operations conducted by the position in order to have tools available and in proper operating condition when needed.
- Performs inspections of campus thermal systems, campus domestic water & sewer distribution systems, campus gas distribution systems, water treatment systems, and related plant equipment tests to ensure that boiler and chiller water chemistry is within acceptable limits and maintains proper chemical water treatment through the knowledge and application of training provided by the chemical distributor.
- Supports in the resolution of afterhours and weekend request received though the customer response center line (2Fix).
- Completes training and performance requirements to meet department goals as well as regulatory requirements. Maintains an IDP (Individual Development Plan). Ensures all items are documented in the LMS (Learning Management System).
- This position will be required to work multiple shifts
- Current shift schedules are (7AM to 3PM, 3PM to 11PM, 11PM to 7AM)
- This is a relief position, 24/7 coverage
- This employee will be required to work a second consecutive shift should their relief fail to arrive for the next shift
- It is also expected that this employee will respond when called in to work a nonscheduled shift
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- At least 1 year performing the duties consistent with a 3rd Class Steam Engineer
- 3rd Class DC Steam Engineers license (non restricted)
- Valid driver’s license
- 1 year of Energy Management System usage
- Microsoft Office skills & email usage
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces & areas with temperature extremes
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate's degree
- Facilities Management Certificate
- LEED Green Associate
- 2-4 years of relevant experience
- At least 2 years of experience in a central plant operation
- 2-3 years troubleshooting HVAC Systems & Central Plant
- Budgetary experience
- Ability to read blueprints
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.