Part Time Security Officer
The Folger Shakespeare Library, located on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, is seeking Part Time Security Officers to join our dedicated Security staff in the daytime, evening, on weekend, and overnight shifts; Shifts are 7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, and 11pm-7am. Duties include, but are not limited to: enforcing security regulations for building entry; monitoring building security panel system; responding to internal security check-ins; patrolling the Folger for security compliance; issuing and collecting keys and monitoring departing staff and visitors; inspecting bags of staff and visitors to ensure security of Folger property; monitoring vendors, contractors, and caterers for daytime and evening events; ensuring vendors and visitors are properly signed in and out of building; escorting vendors and contractors to restricted areas; enforcing parking regulations for staff and visitors; and answering and transferring incoming calls as needed. Shifts are 4 to 8 hours; we are currently seeking candidates for all shifts. All applicants are required to pass a thorough background check and drug screening prior to start of employment as part of the DC Security Officer licensing requirements.
- Applicants must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicants are required to have at least one year of verifiable employment in security or safety position, preferably in a library or museum environment.
- Possess or be able to obtain an active and valid Security Officer License with the District of Columbia within a specified time period after hire. The Folger pays for the Security Officer License.
- Must either hold a current CPR/First Aid/AED certification or be willing to obtain one. The Folger provides this training.
- Knowledge of managing surveillance and alarm systems is preferred but not required.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, as well as the ability to write detailed reports, is required.
- Ability to utilize established procedures to resolve issues.
This job operates in a professional office environment that is currently under construction. The employee may be exposed to various components of an office environment such as florescent lighting, pollen, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise. During the period of construction, employee may be exposed to loud noises, dust, and other construction elements; personal protective devices are provided by the Folger to reduce the impact of construction elements. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position is highly mobile, candidates are required to have the ability to be on feet for extended periods, regularly use stairs, patrol outside and inside locations, and lift items up to 20lbs.
- Capacity to communicate, in person, or using video, phone, or electronic communication methods, in a manner which can be understood by others.
- This posting is considered essential staff and is required to report onsite. The building is currently closed to the public due to construction projects.
Travel Requirements: No travel requirements.
- Position is part time up to 20 hours a week, with occasional opportunities for more hours.
- Starting hourly rate is $17 per hour.
- This position is not eligible to participate in pre-tax transit, contribute to the 403b plan (no employer contributions), utilize the EAP, and participate of professional development opportunities.
The Folger is an Equal Opportunity Employer.