Digital Accessibility Specialist
Position title: Digital Accessibility Specialist
Position #: 1P0006
The specialist will support Web Accessibility compliance efforts and IT Accessibility services that support web accessibility and campus wide accommodations under supervision of the Senior IT Accessibility and UX Specialist. The work that will need to be completed includes, but is not limited to reviewing accessibility metrics and indexing of UMD top 250 sites; working with UMD units to gather, organize and track progress on unit’s web accessibility plans; Review, update and organize Siteimprove users and websites to align with web accessibility goals. Review Siteimprove reports for 250 sites and gather information in a cohesive and effective manner in order to show progress or flag sites that have severe issues. In addition, the specialist will support IT Accessibility services that are needed to fulfill web accessibility efforts and campus wide accommodations requests such fulfilling captioning requests. The work also includes providing support to the Senior IT Accessibility and UX Specialist on existing campus wide accessibility projects and development of new campus accessibility initiatives. The Digital Accessibility Specialist will work under the general supervision of the Director of Learning Technology Strategy and the Senior IT Accessibility & UX specialist, and will be a member of the office of Academic Technology & Innovation at the Division of Information Technology.
- Bachelor degree
- Knowledge and experience in managing and projects, specifically those related to accessibility.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Proficient in creating and maintaining practice documentation, used across multiple systems and functional areas.
- Responds well to direction, embraces feedback, and champions change
- Good communication skills and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with all levels of employees.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Education, Special Education, or related field. Experience with project management.
- Knowledge of disability law including but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504) and the Web Accessibility Content Guidelines (WCAG).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and independently lead projects to completion.
- Committed to customer satisfaction: exceptional skills in collaboration, consultation, communication, customer support, data analysis, and time management.
- Driven by standards of excellence and committed to continuous improvement.
- Ability to build good rapport across all levels within the organization as one of the core responsibilities is to analyze, assess and provide training solutions to a variety of situations.
- High level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative, creativity and commitment. Ability to work in a busy environment and on your own initiative, be self-motivated and flexible
Physical demands: this is primarily a sedentary position involving extensive use of desktop computers.
Closing date: 07/12/2021
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/84902 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.