Senior Financial Review Specialist
Position Announcement #121008 – Senior Financial Review Specialist
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Senior Financial Review Specialist (level 7). The hiring salary range is $63,950 – $87,512 (full salary range goes up to $111,075). This position reports directly to the Director, TV CSG Policy & Review.
To oversee and perform the technical and analytical financial review processes associated with CPB’s Community Services Grants (CSGs), ensuring the accuracy of financial information submitted by public broadcasting stations as well as compliance with CPB’s financial reporting guidelines. This position strengthens CPB’s ability to enforce compliance to ensure the equitable distribution of CSG funds and CPB’s effective stewardship of federal dollars.
• Performs and oversees the review of required financial reports submitted by radio and television stations to ensure compliance with CPB’s financial reporting guidelines for CSGs. Follows-up on issues relative to submitted data/reports and/or recommends follow-up actions based on reviews and analysis, dependent upon the nature of the issues identified and the need for higher-level management involvement.
• Ensures that financial reporting guidelines are documented and kept up to date to reflect CPB’s established policies, procedures, and requirements. Maintains and updates, as necessary, the financial reporting guidelines and requirements that are provided to stations for their compliance in order for them to receive funds/grants from CPB.
• Produces a comprehensive year-end analysis of the CSG’s financial reporting based on data provided by stations applying for CSGs. Ensures that data is organized and produced in a manner that allows management to identify and assess general trends and evaluate station financial performance.
• Establishes and utilizes tracking mechanisms to monitor and report on the status of reports due from stations and follow up accordingly with those that are outstanding.
• Help address and respond to all Office of Inspector General (OIG) station audits and other OIG reports.
• Prepares and or ensures the preparation of periodic and/or ad hoc reports on the status of CSG financial data, including other related projects/activities.
• Provides guidance and input on how financial reporting guidelines should be incorporated into the financial database system (CPB’s Integrated Station Information System or ISIS). Works with system contractors to ensure proper inclusion of guidelines and tests data to ensure accuracy.
• Reviews current annual financial report schedules to determine necessary changes to improve the accuracy of data captured within ISIS. Works, as necessary, with IT and/or system contractors to implement and ensure functionality of changes.
• Ensures that all significant findings related to financial data/station submissions are reported to appropriate staff in order to identify and rectify potential problems.
.• Keeps abreast of accounting and financial reporting requirements affecting non-profits and their potential impact on CPB’s existing financial reporting requirements.
• Performs other duties as assigned, including financial and data analysis as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or accounting, or equivalent experience.
• Five years’ experience performing accounting and/or financial analysis and reporting functions, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
• Demonstrated experience utilizing computerized financial systems and related database operations.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of accounting and finance theory and practices.
• Demonstrated project and/or project team management, and the ability to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously with a sense of urgency.
• Advanced analytical and quantitative skills, with the ability to manage and interpret financial data.
• A strong attention to detail, as well as math skills, and the capabilities to organize and prioritize workload, manage time and resources productively, and meet critical deadlines.
• Effective communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to present data and financial information in an understandable format.
• Proficiency with Microsoft office or similar software, as well as the ability to develop and utilize spreadsheets software.
• Some travel required.
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation.
• Understanding of grant administration processes and related financial data.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter and resume to
Link does not work in Internet Explorer.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance