Director of Technology
Provides operational leadership and strategic direction for the evolving technology used to produce and deliver C-SPAN's content across multiple platforms. Manages technology department which includes IT and broadcast engineering. In consultation with VP of Technology, Chief Engineer and other key participants, develop next generation of IP based broadcast systems to meet C-SPAN's mission and goals.
- Recruits, manages, integrates and mentors a team of IT and broadcast engineers.
- Partners closely with key participants across departments to establish and assist in the transformation of the next generation of technology.
- Provides guidance and expertise for information systems including databases, networking, security, operating systems, network protocols, cloud solutions, VM, software and hardware decisions.
- Influences the design and development of technical facilities for 24/7 television networks, radio and digital media. This includes newsroom and media management systems, production facilities, transmission systems and web site architecture.
- Identifies changes and trends in computer systems technology and interprets their meaning and potential application to senior management.
- Coordinates with equipment manufacturers and cloud service providers to organize demonstrations of new technologies and services. Provides analysis of these technologies, particularly those that can enhance or automate broadcast workflows.
- Ensures robust disaster recovery strategies and incident response planning with a strong focus on internal security.
- Develops annual operating and capital budgets, and is responsible for effective implementation, seeking cost efficiencies where appropriate.
- Works with senior management on internal security audits.
- Directs large scale corporate training associated with new systems or applications.
- Provides top notch quality control of all systems including preventative maintenance and emergency repairs.
- Minimum bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of eight to 10 years work experience with at least four years supervisory responsibilities.
- Solid leader who will maintain innovation, calculated risk taking, collaboration and cost efficiency as guiding principals for managing department.
- Strong project management, time management and problem-solving skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to work across departments effectively.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates expertise with IP based solutions and streaming technologies.
- Offers clear, concise and persuasive communications.
- Displays strong negotiating skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in working with broadcast systems in virtual environments and with cloud providers, as well as configuring and troubleshooting firewalls, servers and similar equipment.
- Must understand high-definition digital TV signal theory.
- Must be willing to respond/coordinate response to situations that occur outside normal work hours.