SUPERINTENDENT, PARKS AND GROUNDS
Job Listing: The Parks and Grounds Superintendent is responsible for maintaining City-owned parks, leased properties, playground facilities, ball fields, drainage ditches, easement areas, and storm water management facilities as well as all grounds maintenance of City owned property in the areas of Horticulture, Arboriculture, athletic field maintenance, storm water pond maintenance, carpentry, park refuse removal and equipment maintenance and repair.
- Bachelor’s degree in Management, Recreation, or Parks preferred
- Five (5) years of experience as an arborist or horticulturist
- Combination of education and experience
- Certain combinations of skill and experience will be considered
- Prior supervisory experience in a state or local government
- Public Agency Applicators Certificate: 3a B Turf; 3C B Ornamentals; Area 6 B Right of Way.
Desired Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current pesticide management practices and licensing requirements.
- Knowledge of basic engineering concepts, managing tasks for staff, and equipment needs.
- Skill in effective tree maintenance practices for right-of-way and public properties.
- Skill in supervising a moderate to large number of skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled employees.
- Ability to maintain athletic field irrigation systems.
- Ability to design and inspect playground facilities.
- Ability to implement effective turf management policies that maximize field use by organized groups.
- Ability to prepare budgets.
- Ability to deal courteously with public and handle complaints.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors, and the public.
*COVID-19 vaccination required in order to qualify for this position
How to Apply: please visit the city’s website at: www.cityofbowie.org and click on the employment link.
The City of Bowie is a drug and alcohol-testing employer. EOE