Director of Communications
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews seeks a Director of Communications to lead external communications and elevate its profile as the leading organization supporting independent media around the world. The ideal candidate can devise and execute a comprehensive external communications strategy that includes media relations, thought-leadership marketing, funder engagement and advocacy. Under the supervision of the Vice President – External Affairs, they will manage a team of four to craft elegant content, in a wide range of formats, that delivers a clear organizational message and inspires support for Internews’ mission. The Director of Communications will monitor key external conversations on relevant topics and proactively identify opportunities to insert Internews’ point of view through news and social media, in-person and virtual events, email marketing, and other channels. This role will be responsible for managing Internews’ digital presence, which encompasses dozens of websites and social accounts. This position will also manage communications for FilmAid, an exciting new project of Internews.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Internews’ headquarters and global offices are closed or partially remote. Internews staff are working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Ultimately, this position will be based in our Washington, D.C. office, with the option to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
The ideal candidate will be based in the Washington, D.C. metro area; however, candidates based elsewhere in the US will also be considered. This position is not eligible for relocation assistance, and you must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS WILL INCLUDE:
- Manage a four-person team – a digital producer, press officer, database administrator, and designer – to engage Internews’ key audiences through strategically aligned, well-written and visually stunning content;
- Proactively monitor public conversations on key topics – such as health communications, disinformation, the environment, and media financial sustainability – and identify ways to inject Internews’ point of view into these debates;
- Draft and edit a wide range of communications in multiple formats, from stories to videos to legislative testimony to press releases to email marketing content;
- Increase Internews’ visibility in the news media, especially on strategically selected topics;
- Engage important “narrow cast” audiences, including donors, thought leaders, and policymakers, through Internews-hosted events, email marketing, digital engagement, and other channels;
- Package and promote key Internews thought-leadership products, including research reports, case studies, guides, and other content;
- Manage Internews’ web presence, which includes multiple websites, to make our content easy to find and consume, and to drive our brand messages in innovative formats;
- Drive growth and engagement on Internews’ social media channels, with a particular focus on promoting Internews’ thought leadership and advocacy agenda;
- Oversee communications for FilmAid, a project of Internews;
- In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- 8+ years of experience in communications-related roles, preferably working with multiple media formats
- Outstanding writing and editing skills, and experience applying them to produce brand-aligned communications products and activities that drive a clear organizational message
- Experience managing media relations and garnering press coverage, preferably across multiple countries. Relationships with reporters and editors a plus.
- Skilled at working collaboratively with teams across an organization, providing strategic guidance on communications needs, mobilizing other departments to draft content, and setting expectations
- Knowledge of major communications and marketing-related tools, such as email services (Emma), web content management systems (WordPress), constituent relationship management systems (SalesForce), press outreach databases (Cision), social media organizers (Tweet Deck), presentation software (PowerPoint), design software (Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign)
- Experience working in an international context, including experience managing cross-regional teams
- Excellent project management skills, including collaborating with internal teams and managing external consultants
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Optimism, a sense of humor, and excitement at elevating underrepresented voices from across the globe
- Professional-level fluency in English