Electrician - Electrical and Life Safety Systems
5 days left
- Full Time
The incumbent of the position is to hold and maintain a DC Journeyman Electrician license. The role of this position is to provide a safe, reliable, code compliant, and functional infrastructure, that produces an efficient living and learning environment. The DC licensed electrician is responsible for evaluating, maintaining, repairing, and replacing a variety of electrical and life safety facility components, to ensure the equipment is fully operational and meets university standards. The position holder will also be involved in corrective and preventive maintenance, minor alteration work, and may oversee temporary labor, and/or other trade persons or contractors as required. The position holder requires general supervision and often works independently.
- Performs preventive and routine corrective maintenance on wiring of the medium voltage system, emergency generators and transfer switches, sprinkler systems (wet, dry and special hazard) and fire pumps, in order to assure that systems are safe and operating as designed.
- Performs emergency repairs to generators, electrical apparatus in and around buildings, in order to assure that service interruptions are minimized.
- Performs emergency corrective and routine maintenance on fire alarm and sprinkler systems.
- Provide temporary power for special events to ensure university needs are met
- Attend meetings and training courses in order to stay current with departmental procedures and maximize job performance
- Attend technical training to remain up to date with new equipment and systems that may be installed in buildings or relevant to position.
- Complete necessary paperwork and documentation of work, to ensure university policies and procedures are complied with
- Perform job tasks independently or in conjunction with other parties and to the standard that meets or exceeds DC, as well as National Code compliance guidelines (e.g. NEC, NFPA)
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- 7:30am – 4:00pm M-F (with occasional late evening, night, and weekend work)
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
- Commensurate with experience
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- District of Columbia Journeyman Electrician License (Required)
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to work and function in a wide range of climate conditions
- Schedule flexibility to respond and report onsite to emergency calls
- Basic Computer and Smartphone usage skills
- Valid Driver’s License
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC