Deputy Division Head - Business Resource Center- #0002230
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. (Click here to learn more about STScI). STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. (Click here to learn more about our culture)
Assists the Division Head in providing planning, development, and direction of the Business Resource Center division, with a concentration on the Contracts and Sponsored Programs and Procurement Branches strongly preferred. Monitors and ensures compliance with AURA policies and procedures, and government regulations in support of STScI's mission, policies, and interests. As directed, performs special projects and studies. Assumes specified responsibilities in Division Head's absence.
Your Role & Responsibilities include:
- Provides general oversight and guidance in planning, development, and direction of the Business Resource Center division with particular emphasis on the Contracts and Sponsored Programs and Procurement teams.
- Ability to analyze non-standard contractual issues and provide guidance to management on potential risks and ways to mitigate
- Demonstrate ability to guide diverse teams of skilled professionals in understanding and interpreting contractual risk and
- Provide general support and counsel to management and staff on contract, grant, purchasing, subcontracts and related
- Identifies and prepares BRC policies and procedures for implementation, management acceptance, and dissemination.
- Assists the Head of BRC in Institutional planning.
- Participates in negotiations with Government and private representatives.
- Work in partnership with BRC Division Head as extension of leadership. As appropriate, attends staff meetings, makes recommendations on needs, provides updates and assessments, and provides input to the management plan and direction of the Institute.
- Responsible for providing effective intra- and inter-departmental channels of communication.
- Responsible for development and enhancement of the BRC intranet (Confluence) site.
- Coordinates with appropriate branch chiefs and facilitates BRC Division-wide staff development plan.
- In conjunction with the BRC Division Head, ensures strong functional support and interfaces between administrative departments and the Program Management Office.
Your Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
Extensive knowledge of management principles, practices, methods and techniques. Thorough working knowledge of federal government regulations; e.g., OMB, FAR, NASA FAR Supplement, covering contract and grant administration, closeout procedures and requirements, and proposal preparation and review. Knowledge of government contract law, commercial contract law, procurement regulations and practices and ITAR. General practical knowledge of Accounting and Budgeting processes, computer applications for management information systems, and facilities operation. Ability to plan and implement projects. Ability to negotiate effectively. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships both internally and externally.
Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Business Administration, Finance, or related field. Master's Degree preferred.
Minimum of eight to ten years’ experience in the management of business operations, preferably in a scientific or technical environment involving government contracts.
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package (Click here to explore our benefits). This position can support telework 3-4 days a week and 1-2 on-site.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by July 9, 2021will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Explore all career opportunities through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
*COVID-19 UPDATE: STScI has most staff working virtually from home during the COVID-19 crisis through June 2021. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to interview and screen candidates in this new virtual landscape. Offers of employment can be extended and new hires will onboard virtually. Employees are required to be residents in the Baltimore-Washington area within a limited time from their start date.*
STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities (Click here to learn more about how we foster Diversity & Inclusion) Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura- astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.