Title: Accounting Manager
Reports To: Business Manager & CFO
Browne Academy is currently searching for an Accounting Manager to assist the Business Manager & CFO in the execution of the daily business affairs of the school through accurate financial bookkeeping, human resource management, facilities maintenance and operations, and administrative support. Browne Academy is guided by the belief that a diverse community is a necessary component of an excellent education; therefore, we seek qualified teachers, administrators, and staff who are: Enthusiastic about shaping lifelong learners; Eager to join an active, engaged, and supportive school community; Excited to work with creative colleagues from diverse backgrounds; and skilled at leading students to develop a strong sense of self-worth and accomplishment. Browne Academy, located in Alexandria, Virginia, is a diverse coeducational independent school enrolling students age three through grade eight.
Duties to include assisting the Business Manager & CFO in:
- Overseeing planning, organization, and management of the business office which includes financial reporting, payroll, bank reconciliation, cash management, accounts receivable, accounts payable, purchasing, investing, budgeting, human resources, technology, risk management, security and facilities maintenance
- Coordinating and managing the accounting functions, ensuring the School maximizes operating funds through appropriate controls and judicious stewardship
- General ledger maintenance and financial reporting to ensure accurate financial position and adherence to budget
- Human Resource Management to include on-boarding (including background checks), off-boarding, coordinating and maintaining employee benefits; assist with first line questions regarding benefits coverage, annual open enrollment and general payroll inquiries.
- Managing operations, vendor and purchasing programs, projects, emergency planning, and budgets for school operations
- Review, development, and implementation of continually emerging technology needs for administrative and educational environments of the school
- Assigned certain additional support duties for entire school (i.e., supply orders, carline and lunch)
- Assist Business Manager & CFO with all Business Office related responsibilities and support all staff reporting to Business Manager & CFO
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or related business field.
- Be a self starter and adapt to a variety of daily tasks.
- Have at least 1-3 years progressive experience in an office setting
- Possess basic knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures and their application to basic accounting transactions and be willing to learn and process accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other administrative duties.
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge and experience in database management (especially Blackbaud) a plus.
- Have working knowledge of 21st century technology and applications in office setting as well as delivery to the classroom environment.
- Have the ability to work effectively and communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing with all levels of the organization and parents. Understand and respect the need for confidentiality in all aspects of the role.