The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a compelling mission: we are working to help make the federal government a more dynamic, innovative and effective servant of the American people, and we have a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and are good to one another in the process.
The Administrative Assistant is the first point of contact for the Partnership and will provide administrative support across the organization. This position will handle scheduling requests for hiring interviews and specific management team members, welcome guests and coordinate the flow of traffic throughout the office, answer general inquiries, and will ensure that all responsibilities are completed with accuracy, timeliness and with the highest degree of professionalism.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greet and announce/direct visitors to appropriate staff member and/or meeting rooms.
- Maintain a general working knowledge of Partnership programs and activities. Reply within one business day to general information requests, including web inquiries, with accurate information.
- Receive, sort and distribute incoming mail. Prepare outgoing mail. Coordinate the pick-up and delivery of express mail services (FedEx, UPS, etc.).
- Train/work with staff to set up user accounts for travel services, FedEx and other services.
- Assist the Office Manager in the ordering, receiving and stocking office supplies.
- Assist the Controller with the weekly processing of checks and other payments.
- Assist HR in administrative tasks as requested, including but not limited to interview scheduling and the creation of payment invoices.
- Keep Partnership lobby neat and clean. Maintain and organize materials and directional signs, as needed.
- Maintain the overall cleanliness of the kitchen and pantry. Stock and keep kitchen supplies full. Assign staff members to weekly kitchen duty.
- Handle special administrative projects, as well as overflow work from the Executive Assistant to the President.
- Provide administrative support to the Management Team and other staff, including meeting scheduling, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Exceptional customer service.
- Excellent communication—both orally and in writing—and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask and deal with ambiguity.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Creative approach to problem solving and on-site troubleshooting.
- Excellent attention to detail, quality and value.
- Commitment to public service and the mission of the Partnership.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma required or relevant professional work or military experience; Undergraduate degree preferred.
- One to two years’ experience required, which can include internships, co-curricular activities and/or relevant coursework.
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel required.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY/REPORTING STRUCTURE
This position reports to the Operations Manager. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment in Washington, D.C. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner. This position also requires standing, sitting, bending and lifting to support overall office operations, including handling packages and restocking the kitchen. Please note that as a result of COVID-19, Partnership staff are currently working remotely.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
If travel occurs, it is usually local and during the business day.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Partnership offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; a 401K program with a 4 percent employer match; opportunities for training and development; 15 days of annual leave per year, 10 days of sick leave per year, plus all federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving off; and use of an on-site exercise facility.
The Partnership strives to be an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in our workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.