Director of Digital
Director of Digital, Kiplinger
The Kiplinger Washington Editors, Inc., seeks an experienced leader to grow the company’s digital footprint, including Kiplinger.com, social media, audio/video/podcasts, email newsletters, paywall-protected content, and other new media ventures.
We’re looking for a dynamic digital leader who is ready to take to new heights our already successful internet presence and our other digital initiatives as we grow our business and solidify our position as the sole U.S. provider of reliable, independent personal finance and business forecasting information.
Join Kiplinger as we develop and expand Kiplinger.com (we just hosted 21.7 million unique users in March 2021) and establish ourselves in areas such as social media; audio/video and podcasts and web series; online communities; highly valued paywall-protected content; email newsletters, and more.
We are looking for a leader to adapt and develop our digital businesses to steer Kiplinger.com and its related entities into a new era. The successful candidate will be able to conceive, construct, explain, and implement a comprehensive and forward-thinking digital strategy that will impact the entire Kiplinger operation.
In this role, you would join the editorial leadership team responsible for Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine, The Kiplinger Letter, Kiplinger's Retirement Report, the Kiplinger Tax Letter, and more. Lead Kiplinger.com in the next stage of development as we explore and adopt new, game-changing approaches to serve our readers and maximize revenue.
At Kiplinger, we start with the expectation that readers will act on our advice and prosper from doing so.
The successful candidate will have experience leading fast-paced and popular websites and will understand different advertising and paywall models available to monetize our online presence. In addition, the candidate will have a track record of success launching new initiatives and growing digital development, including (but not limited to):
- Transforming social media strategies, including identifying, enlisting, and utilizing influencers effectively.
- Producing audio and video events, including podcasts, webinars and web series, etc.
Creating and maintaining a line of successful email newsletters.
- Expanding our user base and maximizing ROI from user communities.
- Understanding and maximizing the effectiveness of SEO.
- Using web analytics to better understand our products and customers and develop content strategies that will grow and better serve our users.
- Developing and leading highly effective editorial teams to identify, create, update, and maintain popular online content (including tools).
- Research, conceive, construct, explain, and implement a comprehensive and forward-thinking digital strategy for all of Kiplinger.
- Oversee and contribute to efforts to expand and monetize Kiplinger’s digital footprint, aligned with our digital strategy, which may include increased development into social media, audio/video/podcasting, communities, paywall, email, etc.
- Grow traffic to Kiplinger.com—specifically, high-quality traffic which converts into paying subscribers.
- Work with product managers, executives, advertising, and marketing leaders across the company to continually enhance performance and revenue of existing products, as well as to identify and implement growth opportunities, and to position and maximize new products and initiatives.
- Collaborate across the business to ensure company resources broadly are invested and maximized in the development and growth of Kiplinger digital.
- Deftly manage a team of digital professionals responsible for reporting, writing, editing, producing, and sharing exclusive, actionable, trusted guidance on taxes, investing, retirement planning, and more. Train and manage the team to ensure this valuable content is being provided across all of Kiplinger’s new media ventures.
- Coordinate daily editorial activity across Kiplinger.com—including our suite of email newsletters with 20+ weekly sends.
- Assign, schedule, edit, and review web-exclusive content. Occasional writing, as well.
- Collaborate with subject-matter experts across the Kiplinger organization to maintain top-performing digital content and collaborate to adapt new digital content from print features.
- Define meaningful KPIs of success, assign targets and incentives, and forecast growth.
- Oversee budget and bear responsibility for profit/loss.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILL SETS
- A positive attitude and collegial nature are a must. Kiplinger’s senior management is a well-honed team. It is important that the person in this position integrates with that team to further the goal of serving our customers.
- Experience developing digital strategy and launching successful digital and new media initiatives.
- Minimum five (5) years' experience managing a fast-paced digital newsroom, ideally alongside print counterparts. The ability to face the occasional crisis or fire drill with calm and aplomb.
- Strong editorial expertise.
- Ability to drive steadily increasing traffic via organic methods such as SEO, newsletter-subscriber growth, partnerships and referral traffic, social media, outreach and more.
- Familiarity and comfort with digital content management systems (CMS), ideally Drupal.
- Able to explain needs to technical development staff to further digital initiatives.
- Experience using and monetizing social media as part of an overall business strategy.
- Proficiency in search-engine optimization (SEO) best practices and analytics-driven content strategy.
- Experience developing audio and video content, including (but not limited to) podcasts and social media content.
- Ability to collaborate across business units and wider corporate structure to enlist support for initiatives and help see them to fruition.
- Desirable but not essential: Knowledge of—if not expertise in—a wide range of important personal-finance topics: tax planning and tax filing . . . investing in stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and other assets. . . buying and selling real estate. . . managing credit and debt. . . saving for retirement. . . Social Security and Medicare. . . estate planning. . . and much more.
- Ideally, the person in this role would live in the Washington area, but Kiplinger will consider a remote hire for an otherwise outstanding candidate.
Kiplinger is part of the Dennis Publishing LTD family. Located in Washington, D.C., it is a premier employment destination for those interested in an entrepreneurial environment. Wellness, work-life balance, and diversity are core values at Kiplinger. We hope you will apply to join the team if those values and your expertise align.
Send cover letter and resume to HR@kiplinger.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal opportunity employer