Director of Retail Operations
CALVERT MARINE MUSEUM SOCIETY
Director of Retail Operations – Museum Store
Location: Calvert Marine Museum, Solomons, Maryland, USA
Salary: $55,765 - $61,734 Annually
Closing Date: July 9, 2021
The Director of Retail Operations is responsible for all aspects of the Museum Store at the Calvert Marine Museum – a regional institution that attracts 82,000 visitors annually. The Director of Retail Operations is a part of the senior management team and reports to the Museum Director and Business Manager.
The position will be an employee of the Calvert Marine Museum Society, the non-profit arm of the museum. The Director of Retail Operations is a full-time, contract position with benefits, and will be required to work a minimum of 35 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Create and implement your vision for the Museum Store to ensure its present and future success
- Manage all aspects of inventory control ($440,000 in pre-pandemic gross sales volume)
- Work with Education and Curatorial staff to select merchandise inspired by and relevant to the museum’s mission; where appropriate develop custom merchandise
- Collaborate with the Deputy Director to coordinate merchandise with educational programming and events
- Creatively merchandise the store to maximize sales
- Develop and manage store budgets, achieving established profit goals
- Maintain records including the payment of invoices and sales tax, weekly deposits, reporting, scheduling, and annual physical inventory
- Fulfill all Point of Sale (POS) system functions
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate the performance of store staff and volunteers
- Ensure a high level of customer service is delivered to every visitor
- Promote the Museum Store through museum’s quarterly newsletter, other publications, and in coordination with our marketing professional on social media sites
- Support museum events and educational programs
- Create unique selling opportunities such as sales promotions for members, a jewelry trunk show, pop-up shops, etc.
- Understand and implement museum store standards as recognized by the Museum Store Association
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Five or more years of retail management experience, preferably in a museum, non-profit, or cultural environment
- Supervisory experience
- Exceptional customer service skills and a track record of building excellent working relationships with museum staff, volunteers, vendors, and the public
- Proven track record as a buyer
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Requires basic computer skills (Microsoft desk top applications including Word and Excel)
- Knowledge of computerized point of sale (POS) system (Counterpoint is a plus)
- Problem solving aptitude, flexibility, and excellent organizational skills
- Available to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays, and evening events as needed
- Ability to work independently toward goals
- Other duties as assigned
Requires long hours on your feet.
Must be able to lift and carry merchandise and boxes of light to medium weight.
Must be able to safely go up and down a step ladder.
Must maintain a professional demeanor and appearance (including dress) consistent with the mission and objectives of the Calvert Marine Museum and the standards set forth.
Accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities upon reasonable notice.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to: Jeffrey Murray, Director, Calvert Marine Museum, P.O. Box 97, Solomons, MD 20688; Jeffrey.Murray@calvertcountymd.gov.
In your cover letter or separately, please address why you believe your skills and experience make you a good candidate, and why you want to be the Director of Retail Operations at the Calvert Marine Museum.