Junior Environmental Scientist/Geologist
Tetra Tech Inc. is currently seeking a Junior Environmental Scientist/Geologist for our Chantilly, VA office.
Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Do you want to do meaningful work that improves quality of life? At Tetra Tech, you will work with high-performing teams who are passionate about using their expertise to find solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Candidates with either Environmental Science or Geology experience are invited to apply! The candidate selected for this position will provide project support for environmental projects related to federal, state, municipal, and commercial clients. The candidate will work collaboratively with and under the supervision of a senior scientist or project manager to complete task level field work.
The Candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Completion of task level field investigation work including soil, water, and air sampling; drilling and subcontractor supervision, and coordination with analytical laboratories
- Construction and/or remedial action oversight
- Health and safety air monitoring
- Preparation of technical reports
- Ability to follow company safety standards, participate in safety training, and prepare as well as implement site-specific health and safety plans
- Responsible for reviewing, understanding, and implementing site-specific work plans and scopes of work
- Prepare various technical deliverables including reports, letters, proposals, tables, and figures
The ideal candidate will have 2-5 years of professional environmental consulting experience with previous field experience including sampling activities and environmental drilling operations, ability to work independently on field projects. Additional project experience including carrying out Phase I ESAs (ASTM-compliant), Phase II Site Investigations, UST compliance monitoring, UST closures, and vapor intrusion assessments is preferred.
In addition, the candidate will have experience in/with:
- Preparing technical reports, memos, response to comments tables, and diagrams is required
- Strong technical writing skills
- Great attention to detail
- Observe, evaluate, and document site field conditions and communicate changes in field conditions to senior staff
- Ability to analyze chemistry and environmental data is preferred
- Ability to interface with clients, subcontractors, working groups, and internal customers
- Working knowledge of the conceptual site model process is preferred
- Experience including CERCLA RI/FS and PA/SI is preferred
- Communicate effectively and make evaluated decisions for the betterment of the client and the company
- Strong problem solving skills
- Has an interest and ability to work in a collaborative manner and will have the flexibility to adapt to changing situations
- GIS experience is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications with extensive experience in Excel are preferred
- Knowledge in database creation and management preferred
- Ability to work during core and extended hours as required
Also, the candidate will have/be:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage time well and work on tasks as part of a larger project team
- A strong health and safety ethic.
- Self-motivated and able to take directions and work independently
- A strong drive to succeed and advance your career
- Positive attitude
- BS/BA degree in Environmental Sciences, Geology, Chemistry, Biology, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Planning or a related discipline is required.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER Training is preferred.
- OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety Training and 8-hour OSHA Supervisors of Hazardous Waste Operations Training are preferred.
- Recent college graduates must demonstrate course work applicable to these job requirements with a G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher and provide transcripts and writing samples
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting http://www.tetratech.com/en/benefits.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at www.tetratech.com/en/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No calls or agencies