Laboratory Quality Officer I/II
Description – Laboratory Quality Officer I/II
Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a Laboratory Quality Officer I/II. With direction from the Manager, Water Quality Laboratory and Compliance, administers and oversees a Quality Assurance Program (QAP) and Quality Control Program (QCP) of the laboratory operations, assists laboratory management with the oversight of federal, state, and local regulations, oversees the laboratory certifications and accreditations programs, and assists laboratory management with contract laboratory services agreements administration for a large public water supply facility and analytical services laboratory.
Essential functions include:
- With direction from the Manager, Water Quality Laboratory and Compliance, administers the QAP and QCP by, but not limited to, the following items:
- Organizing, implementing, and maintaining of centralized QAP and QCP plans in concert with all laboratory management personnel.
- Establishing and maintaining a Quality Assessment review for the integrated laboratory quality systems, such as policies, objectives, organizational structure, responsibilities, and services.
- Oversees the Laboratory’s Drinking Water and Environmental certification and accreditation programs.
- Establishing and maintaining protocol for and performing periodic internal audits of all laboratory sections, including follow-up reporting and corrective action as needed and appropriate.
- Performing the central role in the organization for administering and reporting of all outside source proficiency samples and studies.
- Providing oversight and review of Quality Control (QC) data.
- Performing review of Quality Assurance Manual and all QC Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and making final recommendations to the Laboratory Manager.
- Maintaining laboratory staff training logs.
- Training new employees and annual training for all staff in laboratory ethics policies.
- Overseeing laboratory data validation.
- Assisting with final report preparations.
- Assisting with implementing, and maintaining automated data processing programs, including the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Assisting in and ensuring that automated data processing programs, including the LIMS, meet the Good Automated Laboratory Practices (GALP) standards.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Environmental Science or related field, and a minimum of seven years progressively responsible experience in environmental analysis with at least one-year supervisory experience within a laboratory QA/QC program within an analytical laboratory, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Understanding of modern water purification processes and the analytical methodology necessary to produce reliable laboratory data.
- Knowledge and understanding of the federal, state, and local regulations, both existing and proposed, as they pertain to drinking water and public water supply facilities.
- Advanced knowledge of established Quality Control and Quality Assurance practices pertaining to a drinking water laboratory.
- Experienced in the use and operation of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Knowledge of Microsoft Access and ATL SampleMaster LIMS with ATL Intermediate training a plus.
- Thorough understanding of Good Automated Laboratory Practices (GALP).
- Knowledge of the operation, calibration, servicing and care of specialized laboratory equipment used in the analyses of drinking water.
- Knowledge of water treatment plant operating principles.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.