Administrative Assistant I
Administrative Assistant I
Personnel Status: PIN/Nonexempt
Department: Human Resources
Open Date: May 28, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled - For best consideration, please apply by June 14, 2021
Responsibilities: The primary purpose of this position is to coordinate, and track to completion documents and correspondence submitted to the Office of Human Resources which include salary actions, Faculty and Contingent contracts, Reclassifications, personnel actions forms and other pertinent information. This position is responsible for front desk activities including responding to employees and the public, answering phones, and otherwise delivering excellent customer service. Support as needed will be given to the Senior Director of Human Resources; other functional areas e.g. Employment and Employee Relations. Backup responsibilities to HRIS staff are required for entering personnel actions for the State Personnel Authorization Consolidated Site (PACS).
- Receives and directs incoming calls and visitors including answering designated phone lines as needed.
- Responds to general inquiries regarding office operations and procedures.
- Logs and tracks incoming mail, documentation and contracts received in HR on a spreadsheet to be able to determine progression through the process.
- Reviews documentation to ensure it has the appropriate approval signatures to proceed in the process.
- Assists in maintaining records and filing systems.
- Assembles and compiles basic data according to specific instructions.
- Receives, sorts and distributes incoming mail and materials to the appropriate staff members.
- Operates office equipment such as personal computers, calculators, facsimile machines, and photocopiers.Distributes faxes to appropriate staff daily.
- Prepares, reviews and verifies new hire documents for completeness, accuracy, timeliness and compliance with procedures.
- Provides backup support to HR Associates by entering and processing contracts as needed.
- Compiles New Hire Paperwork for new employees.
- Unlocks file room, turns on and checks the copiers to make sure they have paper and are ready to use daily by 8:15am.
- Provides backup support as needed for the Staff Assistant and functional areas of Human Resources including employment, benefits, and training. Serves as telephone backup for the Office of Administration and Finance.Provides on campus delivery and pickup.
- Administers Skill Assessment Testing to qualified candidates.
- Handles sensitive and confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Drafts turndown letters for interviewed candidates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High School Diploma or GED required. Minimum two (2) years of administrative/secretarial experience required. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint required; must have excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; ability to present ideas and information clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; ability to independently handle multiple tasks and set priorities; ability to project a professional and positive image; to interact with students, public officials and staff at all levels in a courteous and efficient manner. Ability to maintain confidential information; detail oriented, highly organized with natural aptitude to thrive in a fast paced environment.
Special Requirement: A skills level assessment will be administered to candidates on Microsoft 2016 Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Condition of Employment: Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for all eligible students, faculty and staff returning to USM institutions this fall.
SALARY: $35,438-$46,024 Grade: 8
APPLICATION: Interested and qualified applicants should go to https://bowiestate.peopleadmin.com/ to apply online. Paper application submissions will not be considered.
Office of Human Resources
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Bowie State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Auxiliary aids and services for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the University’s EEO Officer at 301-860-3442.
In accordance with the Cleary Act of 2000, you are advised to contact the Bowie State University Campus Police Office for Disclosure of Criminal Incidents that occur on our campus.