Manager of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Programs
The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) is an international nonprofit, scientific and educational organization. With over 11,000 members, made up of students, researchers, educators and industry professionals, the ASBMB is one of the largest molecular life science societies in the world.
ASBMB is seeking a Manager of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Programs to support and expand our efforts to increase diversity, equity and inclusion in biochemistry and molecular biology (BMB). This position includes oversight of existing programs as well as the development and implementation of new DEI strategies in conjunction with other departments and with ASBMB membership.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Under the guidance of the department director, the Manager of Diversity Equity and Inclusion Programs will be responsible for the following:
- Serves as staff liaison to the Minority Affairs Committee (MAC) and Women in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Committee (WiBMB), including implementation of committee-led programs and identification of new strategic goals for committee action
- Coordinates logistics for the IMAGE grant-writing workshop and its associated NSF grant
- Provides logistical support for the NIH-funded MOSAIC program, including but not limited to coordination of the advisory committee, tracks engagement of MOSAIC scholars and communicates progress and achievements to ASBMB membership, NIH and other stakeholders
- Represents the Society in relevant alliances and multi-society initiatives, such as the Alliance to Catalyze Change for Equity in STEM Success (ACCESS)
- Collaborates across departments to ensure issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion are threaded throughout ASBMB programs, events and services
- Oversees climate survey to identify structural barriers to diversity in BMB higher education and potential role(s) for the Society in dismantling those barriers
- Identifies new strategic partnerships or funding opportunities to expand the Society’s DEI portfolio
- Maintains diversity resources on the Society's website
- Develops content related to the department’s programs for the Society’s website, member magazine, and marketing efforts
- Attends external meetings as a representative of the Society (minimal travel)
- Other duties as required
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 3 years professional experience demonstrating increased responsibility
- Prior experience at a non-profit scientific or higher education organization working directly with members and volunteers preferred
- Proficiency with MS Office and web development tools
- Familiarity with social media platforms a plus
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and a fast learner
- Ability to be flexible and work creatively as part of a team or autonomously
This is a full-time, exempt position. ASBMB offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and free parking are offered.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter and salary requirements with your resume.
To learn more about ASBMB, please visit www.asbmb.org.
ASBMB is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.