Chief Legal Counsel
Chief Legal Counsel
Washington County Public Schools
Salary Range: $131,074- $199,446
Open until filled
Apply at: http://www.wcpshr.com
The Chief Legal Counsel plans, administers, coordinates, and directs the Washington County Public Schools (WCPS) Office of Legal Counsel including providing legal services and advice to the Superintendent, Board of Education, and administrators on a variety of issues including labor and employment, parental rights, constitutional issues, student discipline, and special education.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Member of the Maryland Bar in good standing.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Experience in education law, constitutional law, contract law, administrative law, Open Meetings Act, Public Information Act, special education law and municipal law.
- Knowledge of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title I, Title IX, and Title VII, State Department of Education regulations, and FEPRA.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the organizational philosophy, goals, and policies of Washington County Public Schools (WCPS).
- Provide legal services and advice to the Superintendent, Board of Education, and administrators on a variety of issues including labor and employment, parental rights, constitutional issues, student discipline, and special education.
- Provide oversight and litigation management on matters referred to outside counsel.
- Prepare witnesses, present arguments, and provide representation to the school system in appeals regarding student placement, student admission, student disciplinary actions and related complaints such as those involving bus transportation and access to records; employee grievances; employee appeals and disciplinary hearings.
- Provide and maintain updates on law and regulations impacting K-12 education including student discipline, student curricular and testing, Title IX, IDEA (INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES EDUCATION ACT), and academic freedom.
- Respond to complaints and provide counsel concerning Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Individual Disabilities Education Act.
- Serve as the liaison to the management’s negotiation teams.
- Act as the system’s resource on interpretation of negotiated agreements.
- Review school system regulations and Board policies and make recommendations for legal compliance.
- Provide counsel and advice regarding transactional matters and prepare contracts and leases.
- Conduct staff development on contract administration and school law topics.
- Provide advice and counsel to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
- Inform Superintendent and Board of proposed legislation which impacts K-12 education.
- Act as the Superintendent’s and Board’s representative with members of the legislature.
- Serve as liaison to the Board’s Policy Review and Development Committee.
- Serve as liaison to Board’s Legislative Response Team.
- Serve as liaison to Board’s Ethics Advisory Panel.
- Demonstrate courteous and professional demeanor to all stakeholders of Washington County Public Schools.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
Apply for Chief Legal Counsel
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly