Manager II, Chief of Housing
Manager II (Chief of Housing)
Click the link: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ohr/staffing/careers.html, Careers → WORK4MCG → Search Jobs. See Job announcement IRC48582, closing date – June 21, 2021.
The Department of Housing and Community Affairs (DHCA) plans and implements activities which prevent and correct problems that contribute to the physical decline of residential and commercial areas; ensure fair and equitable relations between landlords and tenants; increase the supply of affordable housing; and maintains existing housing in a safe and sanitary condition.
The Manager II (Chief of Housing) will manage the work of the Division of Housing, which focuses primarily on the development of rentals and sales housing projects, providing housing opportunities to all are affordable to a wide range of individuals and families, the elderly, and special needs individuals and groups.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing efforts to increase the production and preservation of housing through complex acquisition and rehabilitation loan programs, including the Housing Initiative Fund and housing initiative utilizing other federal, State, and County funding sources/programs.
- Providing recommendations in order to exercise the County’s right of first refusal to preserve existing affordable multifamily properties, assists in the development of multifamily housing loan guidelines/criteria, and overseeing the development of specific projects with other housing agencies, private sector, special needs groups, and nonprofit housing providers.
- Overseeing efforts to promote/create incentives and establish partnerships to develop programs that address single family affordable housing needs, such as the MPDU Program (Inclusionary Zoning), Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance, as well the Single-Family Housing Rehabilitation, Weatherization, Group Home Acquisition, Replacement Home, and Federal Lead Hazard Reduction Programs.
- Overseeing the Landlord-Tenant Section. A regulatory/enforcement unit that reviews and investigates complaints involving landlords, tenants, and property managers, mediates issues, negotiates settlements, prepares enforceable documents, and provides support to the quasi-judicial Commission on Landlord-Tenant Affairs (COLTA).
- Overseeing the Common Ownership Communities Program (COC) that provide information, assistance and impartial dispute resolution to promote an equitable balance among all members of common ownership communities. The COC also provides support to the Commission on Common Ownership Communities (CCOC).
- Assisting the Department Director in planning, developing, implementing, evaluating, and revising housing policies, programs, services, and programmatic objectives to meet changing conditions, needs, and priorities.
- Managing activities of the division by coordinating work and supervising subordinate managerial, technical, and administrative employees to ensure that all interactions of staff with the public are done in a timely, courteous, professional manner.
- Performing financial control, budget, procurement, contract administration/monitoring.
- Conducting performance evaluations.
- Allocating resources among competing program needs.
- Resolving difficult, sensitive, and controversial issues.
As a manager of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual respect, trust, and cooperation.
Experience: Seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in the fields of urban planning, community development or housing development, multifamily housing finance, or related areas, three years of which were in a supervisory or executive capacity
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. Note: Based upon legislative requirements, some positions may be subject to different minimum qualifications.
LICENSE: Possession of a valid Class "C" (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant's state of residence when required for job-related duties.
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: Individuals appointed to this class will be required to serve a probationary period of twelve (12) months. Individuals promoted to this class will be required to serve a probationary period of six (6) months. During the probationary period, performance will be carefully evaluated. Continuation in this class will be contingent upon successful completion of the probationary period.
MEDICAL EXAM PROTOCOL: Medical History Review.
- Experience in structuring and underwriting complex multifamily credit facilities within public financing risk parameters.
- Experience in planning, formulating, analyzing, implementing, evaluating, and modifying housing-related policies, programs, services, demands, and trends.
- Experience in ensuring housing and regulator programmatic compliance with applicable federal, State, and County mandates, laws, and procedures.
- Experience in oversight of complex affordable housing loan administration/monitoring activities involving large amounts of funds; financial incentives; land acquisitions; complex real estate transactions.
- Experience in affordable single and multifamily housing rehabilitation financing.
- Experience in real estate program financial management and control; budget preparation; procurement processes; contract development, administration, and monitoring.
- Experience in organization/agency-wide financial management and control; budget preparation; procurement processes; contract development, administration, and monitoring.
- Experience in human resources management, including planning, coaching, directing, supervising, and evaluating the work of subordinate managerial, technical, and administrative staff.
- Experience in negotiating controversial issues making presentations and defending positions to government and elected officials, representatives of public and private sector agencies, nonprofit organizations, community groups, commissions, task forces, etc.
- Experience in organizational leadership in affordable housing and community development programs.
- Experience in customer service satisfaction and relationship building.