Alumni Engagement Campaign and Event Manager
The AAAS Science & Technology Fellowships seeks an Alumni Engagement Campaign and Event Manager (STPF50Manager) to coordinate our dynamic team and community in celebrating the 50th anniversary of the program and launching the STPF Alumni Network. Duties will include shaping and executing alumni engagement, fundraising and communication campaigns with associated public events to mark the occasion. This will be a two-year term appointment working full time from 2021 to 2023.
This position is an opportunity for a highly organized and detail-oriented professional with a strong sense of initiative and outstanding interpersonal skills to engage a dedicated community of science policy professionals. The framework for this work was established by a planning committee of stakeholders, staff and alumni to be refined by the incumbent and their managers. There are a series of smaller events and communication campaigns culminating in a main event in the spring of 2023 with capstone projects and the launch of the alumni network. The STPF50 Manager reports to the Sr. Director for Outreach Engagement and Communications and works closely with the STPF Director, the Director of Communications, Philanthropy, and the AAAS Meetings department. This is a highly visible position, as the STPF50 Manager’s decisions related to STPF’s milestone anniversary directly affect constituents’ satisfaction.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
Alumni Engagement Strategy and Implementation
- In collaboration with Philanthropy office, convene and manage a high-level anniversary committee/board.
- Develop and execute priorities to reignite alumni engagement with STPF. Refine and implement a strategy to establish and strengthen relationships with a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Lead the development and success of all 50th anniversary events and campaigns (capstone, alumni engagement, regional, gala, communication, etc.).
- Be conversant in the project details as well as STPF history, to interface effectively with staff, partners, donors, vendors and advisory board members.
- Collaboratively plan for alumni data cleanse, research and updating of contact information, bios and career information.
- Promote a culture of philanthropy amongst diverse alumni to raise awareness of the program’s priorities and initiatives. Attend regular development meetings to strategize and identify alumni prospects, donors and solicitation and engagement opportunities.
Campaign Development & Events Management
- Work collaboratively with AAAS meetings and Philanthropy to set and manage sponsorship valuation. In partnership with Philanthropy office, liaise with, solicit, and manage sponsors as well as sponsor engagement and benefits.
- Manage 50th Anniversary Master Calendar ensuring deadlines are met. Manage and execute all aspects of regional, online and anniversary engagements as outlined. Collaboratively develop project specific calendars, deliverables and assessments.
- Ensure seamless implementation of STPF50 public celebration in spring of 2023.
- Orchestrate logistics, prepare agendas and minutes for anniversary staff and stakeholder meetings and track action items to ensure completion. Document and provide updates to STPF administration.
- Manage program and event logistics and facilitate seamless run of events.
- Liaise with AAAS Meetings to research and negotiate contracts for and coordinate with vendors as needed.
- Collaboratively troubleshoot complex vendor and stakeholder issues that arise.
Communications and Marketing
- Ensure events and marketing materials are consistent with program’s brand and mission.
- Formulate and refine as necessary value propositions and engagement plans for alumni and program stakeholders. Plan and ensure outreach to target audiences for each campaign and event.
- Collaborate with Philanthropy office to identify solicitation messaging opportunities.
- Manage STPF50th Engagement, Communications and Marketing Plan, tracking deadlines and milestones.
- Draft copy and help develop social media, email, and direct mail campaigns. Draft online sign-up forms and track attendance for various events.
- Oversee the development of supporting collateral for campaigns.
- Liaise with STPF and AAAS staff as necessary for multi-media and communications development and deployment. Oversee development of videos and images to support communication campaigns.
- Plan for and manage the development of a STPF50 micro site with comms staff
Metrics, Assessment & Finance
- Respond to internal and external inquiries.
- Prepare, send out, and compile responses from follow up surveys to event participants.
- Prepare final campaign summary reports.
- Track campaign and events budget for reporting. Reviews budgets regularly and proposes adjustments with documented details as necessary.
- 5+ years of experience in a related field and demonstrated successful professional advancement and/or fundraising-related experience; or any equivalent combination of education and/or comparable experience knowledge, skill, and abilities; nonprofit experience desirable; experience with alumni organization a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree leading to a masters, preferred.
- Solid foundational knowledge of fundraising techniques and approaches.
- Experience delivering impactful, high profile meetings and events in person and virtual.
- Experience managing communications.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Superior organizational and time management skills; ability to track long-lead collaborative projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well with people--bridging constituencies, building consensus, and solving problems.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills; flexibility, resilience, collegiality, and ability to be a good team player and a good listener, sense of humor, a "can do" attitude, professional with integrity, and discretion.
- Strong computer literacy skills; proficiency in MS Office Suite. Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM a plus.
- Ability to draft surveys and analyze response data.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Strong understanding of contracting and event finance and reporting.
- Experience with curricular development a plus.
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by June 20, 2021. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.