Director of Marketing Communications
The Director of Marketing Communications is responsible for setting the strategic direction for NVFS’ communication efforts and for executing on that strategy. This will include all Agency and program communications, public relations, website, social media and collateral to consistently articulate NVFS’ mission, strengthen brand awareness and influence key constituencies. The Director is expected to represent the Agency positively to the community, interpreting Agency services to the general public, key constituents, and the media. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, this role will be working remotely until at least September 2021.
Essential Job Duties: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance NVFS’ brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow NVFS leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers, including donors and philanthropic partners.
- Advance NVFS thought leadership opportunities for agency leaders and ambassadors (op-eds, panel participation, podcast interviews, etc.).
- Prioritize public relations and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding NVFS programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Lead the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, agency videos and NVFS’ website.
- Collaborate with Agency leadership to determine communication priorities and messaging.
- Represent the Agency as a member of community councils and initiatives as applicable.
- Maintain knowledge of Agency programs, needs, events and activities.
- Maintain files in accordance with department requirements and NVFS guidelines.
- Assist in formulating the annual program budget and ensure that department operates within budgetary parameters established.
Compliance and Reporting Requirements:
- Responsible for tracking and reporting levels of engagement, media placements and other communications efforts.
Staff Supervision and Development:
- Identify and fulfill staffing needs; work collaboratively with each staff member on talent development process to set professional goals; approval of timesheet, leave and reimbursement requests.
- Supervise Communications staff including regular individual and group staff meetings.
Qualification and Additional Requirements: An individual may obtain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform essential job duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related degree from an accredited college or university required
- At least five (5) years related experience in community outreach, fundraising or communications
- At least three (3) years experience leading an organization-wide communication function that includes all forms of media including external affairs, media relations, and marketing
- At least three (3) years experience in design and web development preferred
- At least one (1) year experience providing direct supervision of staff; management of consulting engagements is a plus
- Fluency in English required; additional language skills always welcome
- Proficiency in use of basic technological tools including laptops/computers, email, phones, internet, virtual meeting and learning platforms
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; strong Excel skills required
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Google Analytics, social media analytics, and/or WordPress a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; thorough attention to detail
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and provide timely results
- Proven measured results in executing successful media relations and digital marketing campaigns
- Commitment to organizational values of Communication, Integrity, Respect, Collaboration, and Accountability
- Ability to travel locally from time to time for key events and meetings with partners as needed; must have reliable transportation to conduct local travel on occasion
- May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours
- Successful completion of background checks required upon hire
At Northern Virginia Family Service (NVFS), we value the diversity of backgrounds, experience, perspectives, and skillsets that we collectively provide to our community, clients and coworkers. We celebrate and thrive on our differences and welcome everyone’s unique contributions. NVFS is committed to advancing equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. NVFS is an E-Verify participant and drug-free workplace.
NVFS values diversity in our workforce. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply, including people of color, all genders and gender identities, people of all abilities, LGBTQ+ individuals, other members of marginalized communities, veterans and national service alumni.