Research Technology Engineer
Research Technology Engineer
Position #: 126254
The Engineer works within the Academic Technology & Innovation unit as part of the Research Computing team to design and support advanced research technology systems and services for the UMD community. The candidate will be responsible for the design and administration of research infrastructure and virtual computing environments. The individual will implement information technology solutions with special focus on meeting requirements for restricted research (Controlled Unclassified Information, Personally Identifiable Information, Protected Health Information), including the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification, NIST SP 800-53, and especially NIST SP 800-171 requirements. This position also requires that the candidate provide day-to-day management, administration, and troubleshooting of virtualization infrastructure, applications, and other core enterprise systems, including planning and managing capacity, security, and reliability testing, along with patching of infrastructure systems. Candidates should have a thorough knowledge of virtual system design, implementation, and administration, operating system hardening, user profile management, application virtualization, and storage administration. The candidate will provide technical insight to teams and projects alongside research programs. We are looking for a highly creative individual who can apply extraordinary communication and project management skills in order to realize visionary technologies on an extremely large scale.
● Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or a related field or equivalent experience
● At least 6 years of experience designing and supporting IT infrastructure and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) such as Nutanix Prism, VMware Horizon, or Citrix Xen Desktop/App.
● Experience with managing NIST SP 800-53 and or NIST SP 800-171 environments.
● Ability to maintain confidentiality, demonstrate sound judgment, and handle sensitive material is essential.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information and provide technical training to non-technical personnel and/or end users, install, configure and maintain personal computers, networks and related hardware and software, identify and resolve computer system malfunctions and operational problems, and learn and support new systems and applications.
● Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities. Must be flexible and able to handle multiple priorities, with the ability to adjust to rapidly changing business conditions.
● Must have excellent logical and analytical skills.
● Master’s degree in instructional technology or a related field.
● Experience in a higher education environment is preferred, but not required.
● Experience with provisioning environments using Infrastructure as Code
● Experience with hyper converged computing environments.
● Experience with public cloud services such as Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services.
● SAN storage systems, both hardware- and software-defined.
● Linux system administration, command-line, scripting
● Must be self-motivated, independent and detail-oriented as well as demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Committed to customer satisfaction: exceptional skills in collaboration, consultation, communication, customer support, data analysis, and time management.
● Driven by standards of excellence and committed to continuous improvement. Ability to foster faculty enthusiasm for and engagement in the use of innovative technologies for teaching.
● Ability to build good rapport across all levels within the organization as one of the core responsibilities is to analyze, assess, and provide training solutions for a variety of situations.
● High level of energy, drive, enthusiasm, initiative, creativity, and commitment. Ability to work in a busy environment and on your own initiative, be self-motivated and flexible.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas. US Citizenship or Permanent Residency is required.
Physical demands: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 05/17/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/82363 [ejobs.umd.edu]