Principal Network Engineer #332
PRINCIPAL NETWORK ENGINEER
Salary Range $97,970 - $146,953
NATURE OF WORK
This is advanced professional work researching and analyzing emerging technologies to support and maintain the integrity of the Senate campus networking infrastructure. Work in this classification is distinguished from the Senior Network Engineer by its level of technical expertise and long-range impact of the assigned duties. The incumbent may serve as a technical expert and be called upon to research and resolve issues escalated by other support groups, as well as recommend long-term strategic decisions for Senate technology. Work also includes directing technical planning and design activities, including validation and verification of network strategies, cost analysis, risk assessment, and compatibility. The incumbent is responsible for managing project timetables. Work is performed under the general direction of a Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
(This list is not absolute or restrictive, but indicates approximate duties and responsibilities which may be redefined pursuant to operational needs.)
● Provides long-range strategic planning for new and innovative networking technologies, including research and development of alternative architectures, new infrastructure framework, and engineering strategy; monitors the impact of technological developments.
● Leads advanced technical project teams and contractors, with engineering emphasis on routing/switching, system build-outs, and systems security and reliability; plans, assigns, directs and coordinates work efforts; develops project plans, timetables and staff requirements.
● Formulates and defines next generation infrastructure for the Senate’s data networks, in support of the applications and security systems that support the Senate’s business mission, information technology functions and services.
● Researches advanced and leading edge technologies as they pertain to strategic planning and implementation of the Senate’s advanced network; makes recommendations to senior management.
● Provides escalation support to senior and non-senior level operations and engineering staff in troubleshooting network-related issues.
● Develops criteria and oversees design and development of prototypical lab environments for the purpose of providing testing and training platforms of new networking technologies by engineering and operations staff.
● Reviews and evaluates performance data to ensure sufficient network resources are available in support of current requirements; develops strategies for identifying and increasing resources when necessary.
● Represents the department at user group, task force and steering committee meetings and pilot testing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work requires sitting and operating a computer for extended periods, with occasional standing, climbing, pulling and safely lifting up to 50 pounds. May occasionally work evenings or weekends to resolve problems or handle incident.
Work requires a Bachelor's Degree in computer science, electrical engineering, electronics, telecommunications or a related field; and eight to ten years of data communications and network system experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
● In-depth knowledge of network technologies and protocols, primarily TCP/IP and IP-based network communications.
● Extensive experience with routing and switching technology.
● Experience with network-based security services and configurations.
● Knowledge of technology industry trends and emerging technologies.
● Knowledge of project life cycle methodologies.
● Ability to oversee, monitor, and maintain network operations, including high-availability and resilient network architectures.
● Ability to evaluate and make recommendations on different network-related applications software packages.
● Ability to manage studies, special projects and assignments with long-range impacts.
● Ability to plan, direct, assign, supervise and evaluate project teams and task forces.
● Ability to communicate effectively.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Principal Network Engineer Addendum
Principal Network Engineer (Unified Communication/Voice) The United States Senate Sergeant at Arms is seeking qualified candidates for a Principal Network Engineer (Unified Communications/Voice) position in the Network Engineering section. The U.S. Senate is looking for candidates who can demonstrate continual expertise and progression in Cisco Unified Communications and Collaboration technologies and who seek the opportunity to work in a technically challenging environment.
Summary: This is advanced professional work to plan, analyze, design, test, evaluate, install, troubleshoot, and maintain the integrity of an enterprise Cisco Unified Communications (UC) system. Work involves acting as a technical liaison for special consultations and projects. In addition to serving as a lead on new projects, incumbents also provide engineering and escalation support for existing UC systems within the campus and wide-area network. The position is also responsible for providing escalation support to the Network Operations Center for troubleshooting UC related problems.
• Evaluation of new UC/voice products and services.
• Engineering design and testing of UC/Voice technologies and services.
• Project work, both as part of a team or a team lead, working with other technical sections in support of projects and initiatives.
• Assist in planning technical phases of projects and work with external vendors, technical staff, and customers to identify requirements and develop UC/Voice based solutions.
• Provide escalation support to Network Operations Center. • Provide knowledge transfer to technical staff.
• Produce clear and concise technical documentation. The successful applicant must be able to work independently and be an effective team member. The position requires solid analytical and technical skills, and the ability to learn new technologies quickly. The ability to manage multiple tasks and projects is a must, and effective verbal and written communications is necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS REQUIRED:
• BS degree in computer science, electrical engineering, telecommunications or a related field, or any equivalent combination of education and experience in Unified Communications/Voice technologies.
• Minimum of 5 years Cisco UC/Voice experience.
• Strong knowledge of TCP /IP stack and Cisco data networking technologies and products.
• Strong understanding of Quality of Service (QoS) implementation in a Cisco centric enterprise network.
• Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills in Cisco Unified Communications infrastructure.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of Cisco CUCM, Unity Connection, IM&P and other UC application’s building blocks: Partitions, CSS's, Device Pools, Users, Extension Mobility, MOH, media resource/conferencing, SRST, ICT/UC Clusters, Route List, Route Groups, Hunt Groups/List, Translation Patterns, etc.
• Extensive knowledge of voice signaling, media protocols, and troubleshooting; SIP, RTP, TLS, H.323, and MGCP
• Experience with configuring, deploying, and troubleshooting Cisco analog Voice Gateways
• Experience configuring and troubleshooting SIP Trunking and Session Border Controllers such as Cisco Cube and Oracle Acme Packet.
• Strong knowledge of telephony dial plan design and call routing/control protocols
• Experience with integrating collaboration tools between Cisco and Microsoft • Experience configuring, testing, deploying, and troubleshooting Expressway C and E, and configuring MRA
• Experience with Cisco Business Edition 7000 UCS servers and VMWare ESX a plus
• Cisco CCNP collaboration certification level or knowledge is preferred.
Link to apply: https://sen.gov/POKV