GIS Analyst II/III
- Full Time
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
Description – GIS Analyst I/II/III
Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a GIS Analyst II/III. This position will position will be filled at either the level II or III depending on the education and experience of the selected candidate. Under general supervision of the Chief, GIS, works to develop, implement, and maintain data and applications for Fairfax Water’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS). The GIS Analyst II will support data maintenance efforts including both office workflows and field data collection. This position will be required to work closely with Information Technology as well as staff throughout the organization. The GIS Analyst II will support the administration of Fairfax Water’s Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) as it relates to the EGIS.
Essential functions include:
- Facilitate Implementation of Enterprise GIS
- Provide support for the administration and configuration of ESRI’s ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, ARCGIS Portal architecture, and their associate applications.
- Coordinate with the IT’s Networking and Operations team to provide hardware, software, and infrastructure requirements for both server side and client-side GIS deployments.
- Coordinate and/or participate in dialogue with other Departments regarding the detailed design for the Enterprise GIS applications, functions, and services via meetings, memorandums, and other types of communication.
- Provide project management support as needed.
- GIS Maintenance
- Apply GIS technology to perform advance data entry and manipulation, produce documentation, perform spatial analysis and produce reports.
- Lead requirements gathering for GIS applications.
- Analyze programming needs for GIS applications.
- Develops programs, procedures and applications using GIS and related software tools.
- Develop and automate processes to update, maintain, and analyze databases and ensure spatial integrity.
- Provide input for the design of future components of the Enterprise GIS to include the technology and network design, and migration and implementation plans.
- Participate in the preparation of justification and cost information associated with proposed GIS applications.
- Create/update/enhance desktop, web-based, and mobile GIS applications using Python, ArcGIS Model Builder, ArcGIS Arcade, SQL, Java, and HTML.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from a four year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field and at least 3 years professional experience implementing and maintaining in-depth, complex, GIS solutions involving relational databases, or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge.
- Strong knowledge of the methods, principles and practices used in map preparation; the basic principles of cartographic technology; and the terminology, technical symbols, equipment, and instruments of cartographic drafting.
- Experience with database and application design, configuration, tuning, and debugging.
- Experience with GIS supporting water, sewer, electric, or other linear utility applications in an enterprise versioned environment utilizing ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Portal, and mobile field data collection apps.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within general guidelines and direction.
- Demonstrated history of self-motivation and use of problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated history of the ability to multi-task and utilize strong time management skills
- Ability to program or learn to program in GIS, relational and spatial database, and web languages.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to apply emerging information and GIS technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage complex spatial projects to support GIS initiatives.
- Experience working with ESRI applications and Oracle databases.
- Registration as a Certified GIS Professional preferred.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan. Applications must be received by May 13, 2021 no later than 4:30PM.