Senior Marketing Operations Manager
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a multifaceted Senior Marketing Operations Manager who would be responsible for all marketing systems, databases, and processes necessary to ensure that our marketing operations meet the performance and revenue goals for both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy. The Senior Manager works closely with stakeholders from across the company to administer our marketing databases and systems, and to oversee the team’s project management processes and marketing vendors to ensure that we are able to meet our organizational goals.
The Senior Manager is also responsible for managing a small in-house team, overseeing the company’s marketing database and email execution, and working with email marketers across multiple teams to ensure our use of email marketing follows industry best practices.
This role is currently 100% remote during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it is safe to return to the office, this role will sit on-site in our Washington, DC office.
- Partner with the technology team and key internal stakeholders to ensure marketing systems are effectively and efficiently meeting our business needs
- Administer the Marketing Technology stack, including, but not limited to our marketing automation platform (Marketo) and project management tools (Wrike) in support of all lines of business
- Manage all marketing vendor contracts and operational expenses, including marketing automation platform, project management systems, and consulting services as needed
- Maintain a healthy marketing database, perform regular data cleanliness procedures, and oversee database growth and list management
- Act as an internal email marketing expert, ensure email marketing best practices are followed, monitor deliverability and sender reputation, and manage the email calendar across multiple teams
- Work with sales leadership to accurately represent marketable database to external clients, keeping up-to-date data cards, and pulling specific list requests for sales reps as necessary
- Build and optimize automated email marketing campaigns to grow the size of marketable contacts using a variety of email-based engagement tactics (including welcome, profile completion, and nurture series)
- Ensure consistent campaign testing methodology is being applied and shared across all business teams
- Provide regular database and campaign performance reporting for internal and external clients
- Keep up-to-date process and training materials for marketing teams
- At least 8 years of experience in marketing operations, database marketing, or email marketing, preferably in a B2B organization
- 4+ years of experience administering a robust marketing automation platform, such as Marketo, Eloqua, or HubSpot. Strong preference for Marketo & Marketo Certification
- A minimum of 2 years previous supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or equivalent field of study preferred
- Strong understanding of ROI-oriented marketing, with demonstrated experience in marketing analytics and campaign analysis
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively interact with people from a range of disciplines (technologists, journalists, business teams, and senior executives)
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects to meet tight deadlines
- A player-coach, with the ability to lead an essential internal function and dig deep into detailed process and data management areas
- Proven ability to excel in a fast-paced, changing environment with the ability to work independently & collaboratively with cross-functional teams
How to Apply:
We’d love to hear from you. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Marketing Operations Manager” in the subject heading.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Chronicle of Higher Education took appropriate measures to ensure the safety of all staff members. Thus, we are working remotely during this time. The safety, health, and wellbeing of our staff are of the utmost importance to us. This role is currently 100% remote during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it is safe to return to the office, this role will be based in our Washington, DC office.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive, and we offer excellent benefits and 5 weeks of vacation.
The Chronicle is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.