Senior Email Marketing Specialist
The Chronicle is seeking a strong, well-rounded Senior Email Marketing Specialist to create, automate, and measure engaging email marketing campaigns. In this role, you will oversee the development of a significant amount of business promotional emails and coordinate with marketers and other stakeholders to create email strategy and content and ensure campaign effectiveness. You will also support the Senior Marketing Operations Manager in the day-to-day operations of The Chronicle’s marketing automation system.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee the deployment of all marketing emails to support recruitment, institutional and corporate sales including, but not limited to, email and landing page set-up, segmentation, scheduling, testing, and deployment. This includes one-time, recurring, triggered, and dynamic content campaigns.
- Manage the production of email campaigns including HTML templates, list segmentation, exclusion/inclusion lists, and other aspects of email execution, as required.
- Continuously optimize email and segmentation strategies to drive higher returns through testing of subject lines, messaging, images, offers, frequency, segments, etc.
- Manage cross-departmental email marketing calendar daily to ensure delivery of all business emails, proactively raise concerns, and work with teams to resolve conflicts.
- Provide database and campaign-specific reporting for all email marketing campaigns to leadership and stakeholders.
- Stay updated on trends, industry best practices, technologies and growth opportunities to ensure a best-in-class email-marketing program.
- Support Senior Manager in the day-to-day operations of marketing automation system and troubleshoot technical problems with customer support.
- Develop and optimize email nurture campaigns, such as welcome series for new contacts and reengagement campaigns for inactive users, to grow a healthy database.
- Ensure compliance with the Chronicle’s unsubscribe process and maintain excellent email deliverability and reputation scores.
- Ensure compliance with country and state laws pertaining to user data and permissions, including CAN-SPAM, CASL, and CCPA.
- Maintain healthy email marketing lists by managing how contacts enter the database, including list uploads and automated integrations, reducing list decay.
- Collaborate with marketing, research, and sales teams to pull audience lists for targeting.
- Partner across teams to leverage the customer data platform to identify and target new audience segments.
- Create new Marketo users and manage onboarding and training on email best practices.
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or equivalent field of study is preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in an email marketing role using a marketing automation platform such as Marketo, Hubspot or Eloqua.
- Strong knowledge of email marketing setup and optimization using email best practices.
- Hands-on experience with HTML in an email environment.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze campaign performance.
- A passion for optimizing business processes and using email to achieve company goals.
- Experience with marketing automation processes including lead and campaign management.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- A positive, upbeat, and can-do professional, with a responsible attitude and ability to work in a matrixed team environment.
- Have a solid understanding and interest in modern email design and trends.
- Knowledge/awareness of the higher education and nonprofit industries is a plus, but not required.
How to Apply: We’d love to hear from you. To apply, send a résumé and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Email Marketing Specialist” in the subject line.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Chronicle of Higher Education took appropriate measures to ensure the safety of all staff members. Thus, we are working remotely during this time. The safety, health, and wellbeing of our staff are of the utmost importance to us. This role is currently 100% remote during the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it is safe to return to the office, this role will be based in our Washington, DC office.
The Chronicle is based in Washington, D.C. Our salaries are competitive, and we offer excellent benefits and 5 weeks of vacation.
The Chronicle is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.