Executive Assistant II
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is the science operations center for NASA missions, including the Hubble Space Telescope, the most famous space observatory in history. We also provide science, flight and mission operations for the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), planned to launch in Fall 2021, and will perform science operations support for the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope, in preparation for launch in the mid-2020s.
STScI is seeking an Executive Assistant to provide the highest level of complex administrative support to the Institute Director in a timely, confidential and accurate manner. This position requires a proactive organizational expert who can juggle a large number of varied tasks. Each day will entail oversight of a wide variety of administrative responsibilities that require independent judgement, professionalism and an understanding of project and organizational parameters while interfacing with diverse internal and external constituencies.
Your Role & Responsibilities include:
- Serves as the initial point of contact for the executive for both internal and external inquiries. Screens all incoming calls and correspondence, and establishes protocols and priority for access. Responds independently when possible, including confidential and non-routine matters. Discretion is critical.
- Develops, maintains, and disseminates overall calendar for executive.
- Provides support to executive’s meetings, including scheduling, gathering of agenda items, and recording, transcription, and distribution of minutes.
- Coordinates travel needs for the executive, including generating travel requests, coordinating travel planning and processing the closeout of expense and trip reports.
- Interfaces with other STScI organizational units and with external personnel to secure and exchange information, arrange meetings and teleconferences, and coordinate various activities.
- Provides support to the executive for the preparation of presentation materials and other documents. Gathers and prepares required materials for presentation. Competently utilizes a variety of computer software to develop materials. Composes correspondence and reports for executive's approval.
- Utilizes various on-line facilities for information research, scheduling, presentation material preparation, database development and maintenance, and other applications as needed.
- Directly supervises other administrative staff.
Your Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience interfacing with senior executives, boards, high level committees, etc. specifically in handling confidential information and matters.
- Proven ability to perform a variety of administrative duties requiring initiative and exercise of independent judgment.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and follow through with continual attention to detail and proofing.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively and diplomatically, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent working knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Ability to perform general mathematical skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and peripherals, as well as operating systems and major software packages such as MicroSoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access, FileMaker Pro, Keynote, and Adobe FrameMaker. Thorough knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Proven ability to develop technology to support administrative functions.
- Familiarity posting existing documents and graphics to the inter- and intra-net sites. . Introductory web programming and/or design is highly desirable.
- Technical proficiency with a variety file sharing/ content management systems, tele- and video conferencing equipment and other office equipment.
- Prior experience directing the work of other administrative staff.
Established professional with ten+ years of progressively responsible administrative experience with five or more years in a role supporting senior management or a C-suite required. Should have prior supervisory experience. Prior experience utilizing PC or MAC computer systems is required; proficiency with both is preferred but not required.
STScI is located on the Johns Hopkins Homewood campus in Baltimore, MD. This position will require coverage Monday thru Friday 8:00-5:00 p.m.
STScI offers a welcoming workspace for all. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package. Explore our benefits at http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an on-line application. Applications received by May 21st will receive full consideration.
*COVID-19 UPDATE: STScI has most staff working virtually from home during the COVID-19 crisis through June 2021. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to interview and screen candidates in this new virtual landscape. Offers of employment can be extended and new hires will on-board virtually. Employees are required to be residents in the Baltimore-Washington area within a limited time from their start date.*
STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.