GIS Analyst I/II/III
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
Description – GIS Analyst I/II/III
Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a GIS Analyst I/II/III. This position will position will be filled at either the level I, II or III depending on the education and experience of the selected candidate. Under close supervision of the Chief, GIS, works to develop, implement, and maintain data and applications for Fairfax Water’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS). The GIS Analyst I will support data maintenance efforts including both office workflows and field data collection. This position may be required to work closely with Fairfax Water’s Information Technology department as well staff throughout the organization.
Essential functions include:
- Facilitate Implementation and Maintenance of Enterprise GIS:
- Provide limited support for the administration and configuration of ESRI’s ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, and ARCGIS Portal architecture, and their associated applications.
- Research hardware, software, and infrastructure requirements for both server side and client-side GIS deployments to support coordination between the IT’s GIS team and the Networking and Operations team.
- GIS Maintenance
- Apply GIS technology to perform advanced data entry and manipulation, produce documentation, perform spatial analysis and produce reports.
- Support requirements gathering for GIS applications.
- Support programming needs analysis for GIS applications.
- Develop programs, procedures and applications using GIS and related software tools.
- Support the design of future components of the Enterprise GIS to include the technology and network design, and migration and implementation plans.
- Support the preparation of justification and cost information associated with proposed GIS applications.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from a four year college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, or a related field or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge.
- Knowledge of the methods, principles and practices used in map preparation; the basic principles of cartographic technology; and the terminology, technical symbols, equipment, and instruments of cartographic drafting.
- Familiarity with database and application design, configuration, tuning, and debugging.
- Familiarity with GIS supporting water, sewer, electric, or other linear utility applications within an enterprise versioned environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within general guidelines and direction.
- Demonstrated history of self-motivation and use of problem-solving skills.
- Ability to learn to program in GIS, relational and spatial database, and web languages.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply emerging information and GIS technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to support development and management of complex spatial projects to support GIS initiatives
- Experience working with ESRI applications.
- Registration as a Certified GIS Professional preferred.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan. Applications must be received by May 13, 2021 no later than 4:30PM.