Manager, Database Administrator Position
Manager, Database Administrator
Position #: 106523
The Manager of Database Administration is a member of the Enterprise Data Services team and reports to the Director of that unit. The position has responsibility for directing the efforts of the database administrators within that group. Responsibilities include oversight and administration of the Universities database platforms both on premise and in the cloud.
Details of responsibility include but are not limited to knowledge and expertise with Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL, and relational database concepts as well as Cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure or GCP. The manager should have sufficient expertise to be an effective owner of tasks related to the integration of local, cloud or hosted services (PaaS, IaaS), monitoring, analysis, security and application tools. This person is responsible for identifying security vulnerabilities and must understand how to communicate effectively to the team in order to remediate any threats. The Manager must be able to produce clear documentation of the systems being managed for all levels of leadership (peer through executive).
Security of data is the most critical aspect of this position, thus the candidate must be well versed in database security measures, literature and other sources for information regarding securing data.
This position is integral to the strategic planning and priority setting for the Division of Information Technology and the campus enterprise strategic initiatives. The manager oversees projects to successful completion, ensuring prompt customer service, staff management and staff skill development. The position includes responsibility for instituting the appropriate security controls, processes, and best practices to ensure compliance with State and University System audit requirements. The Manager must be able to communicate clearly both orally and in writing and must be a strong leader.
• Bachelor’s degree in a technology or science discipline
• 8-10 years managing a highly technical database administrative staff in the development, support, and maintenance of enterprise-level database systems, both on premise and in the cloud
• 8-10 years experience with query writing and performance tuning
• 8-10 years hands on experience with database administration of a major RDBMS (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
• Strong, working knowledge of relational database principles, client/server computing techniques and solutions, distributed systems management concepts, networking and security.
• Must be self-motivated, highly responsible, and service-oriented.
• Must possess and exercise strong problem-solving skills.
• Must work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust rapidly to significant changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively in emergencies.
• Effective verbal and written communications skills are mandatory. Must instruct, direct, assist, and share information freely and openly with both technical and non-technical personnel
• Masters in technology or technology management desirable
• Certification in at least one database platform
• 3 – 5 years experience administering Oracle databases for a large enterprise
• Hands on experience with database service offerings within AWS, Azure or GCP
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: on call 24×7×365. Occasional lifting and transporting of computer hardware; availability to work weekends and holidays when necessary.
Best consideration date: 05/17/2021 or open until filled.
Please apply at https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/82357 [ejobs.umd.edu]