Supervisor, General Accounting
1 day left
- Full Time
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
Description – Supervisor, General Accounting
Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a Supervisor, General Accounting. Under limited supervision of the Manager, Accounting, coordinates and oversees General Accounting programs that include accounts payables, accounts receivables, payroll, employee benefit payments, and procurement cards.
Essential functions include:
- Maintains and supervises the daily activities of the General Accounting staff.
- Serves as section lead and coordinates the training and development of staff.
- Assists staff and directs the completion of the day to day tasks and duties of the department.
- Supervises staff and maintains filing system for accounting records and reports.
- Performs employment related duties to include interviewing to fill vacant positions and completes staff performance reviews.
- Writes and reviews departmental procedures and guidelines.
- Establishes and monitors staff performance goals.
- Insures validity and control of accounts payable disbursements, accounts receivable, procurement cards, payroll processing and payment of employee benefits, taxes, and other programs.
- Applies the laws, rules and regulations of payroll; exercises good judgment in the application and interpretation of policy, regulations, and procedures related to assignments.
- Analyzes and interprets fiscal and accounting data and prepares appropriate statements and reports.
- Reviews and authorizes payable disbursements generated by the Accounts Payable Specialist.
- Acts as Administrator for Fairfax Water’s credit card programs.
- Assists Accounting Manager in evaluating and improving operational efficiency and conducting internal control reviews.
- Oversees the processing of the payroll program through check generation and posting. Performs the reconciliation and analysis of the related ledger accounts.
- Prepares reports required by Federal, State, and local governments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and minimum of five years of progressively responsible accounting experience, including experience in general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- A minimum of five years of extensive payroll experience is required.
- Three years of supervisory experience with the ability to plan, direct, and supervise the activities of an accounting staff.
- Certified Payroll Professional Certification preferred.
- Proficiency in SAP preferred.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan. Applications must be received by March 31, 2021 no later than 4:30PM.