Athletic Field Turf Supervisor
Do you want to utilize your supervisory skills to manage, maintain, and improve the City's athletic fields and outdoor athletic facilities? If so, consider applying for the Parks and Recreation Department's Athletic Field Turf Supervisor position.
The Athletic Field Turf Supervisor position is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $22.39 - $25.75 per hour (equivalent to $46,571 - $53,560 annually). The ideal candidate for this position will perform a variety of technical and professional work related to athletic fields and outdoor athletic facilities, including field maintenance and crew supervision.
The Athletic Field Turf Supervisor:
- Supervises, manages, and trains employees.
- Assists in the hiring, performance review, and discipline of employees.
- Mentors and provides training to employees in the field by demonstrating effective leadership to promote a positive work environment.
- Participates in the department's daily operations, including but not limited to:
- Mowing operations, field grooming, field striping, drag patterns, mound and home plate area preparation, weed control, pruning, fertilizing, aerating, and other turf and athletic field maintenance practices;
- Overseeing application of and/or applying herbicides and modifying fertilizer prescriptions and applications using soil sample results;
- Supervising the use of plant and turf grass nutrients, taking soil samples, and determining nutritional needs;
- Inspecting park and/or facility landscapes;
- Ensuring adherence to OSHA standards and safety of employees;
- Performing proper handling, spill prevention/response, and cleanup procedures for fuels and other pollutants to minimize entry into the storm water system.
- Schedules, monitors, and arranges maintenance, repairs, and replacement of irrigation, field maintenance, and other related equipment.
- Performs preventive and scheduled maintenance and minor repairs on equipment.
- Coordinates and oversees work with contractors to ensure service is accurate, appropriate, and effective.
- Prepares and maintains service records and budgets for appropriate equipment.
- Serves as the lead position responding to citizen turf management and athletic field-related inquiries and complaints effectively, courteously, and tactfully.
- Assists with snow and ice removal as needed.
- Undergraduate degree with coursework in agronomy, turf grass management, turf grass science or related field with considerable experience in the supervision of athletic field maintenance operations or athletic turf management and staff; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid driver's license, required. Current possession of or the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver's License Class B within six (6) months of hire date, required.
- Current possession of or the ability to obtain a Commonwealth of Virginia Certified Pesticide Applicator's License and a Commonwealth of Virginia Certified Fertilizer Applicator's License within six (6) months of hire date, required.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule that may include nights, weekends, and holidays, required.
The ideal candidate should have:
- Knowledge of: turf science and various cultivars of preferred turf grasses for local area in both native and sand-based fields; athletic turf management and field preparation methods and practices; and materials, tools, and equipment required in the upkeep, repair and construction of athletic fields.
- Ability to: properly maintain and manage existing athletic facilities; proficiently use computers and business-related software; provide effective leadership and supervision to assigned employees; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, including through the use of effective communication.
The selected candidate for this position will be subject to the following screenings and must receive satisfactory results:
- DMV driving record review;
- FMCSA drug screen;
- Job-specific physical;
- FMCSA Clearinghouse Query; and
- Criminal background check.
Application deadline: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete a City of Harrisonburg online employment application, to include previous work experience and education history, by 5:00pm EST on May 26, 2021.
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.