The Genetics Society of America (GSA) is the professional membership organization for scientific researchers and educators in the field of genetics. Our members work to advance knowledge in the basic mechanisms of inheritance, from the molecular to the population level.
GSA is seeking a full-time Communications Specialist to support the Communications Department in copyediting, formatting, and updating digital content.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Writing and editing content and related material as required
- Copyediting email, web, and social media content as needed to ensure that it conforms to house style and is free from typographical and grammatical errors
- Writing social media content
- Production support
- Building and testing blast emails in Active Campaign
- Creating blog content in WordPress
- Creating webpages and updating/maintaining information on GSA websites
- Editing and formatting documents in Google Docs, Microsoft Word, and PowerPoint
- Scheduling social media posts in Buffer
- Sourcing photos and graphics to enhance blog and social media posts
- General support to the department
- Strategizing with the Communications team on marketing campaigns and initiatives
- Providing general support to staff in implementing communication and marketing strategies
- Assisting in managing Communications Interns
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with 1–3 years professional work experience, including internships
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong writing, editing, grammar, and spelling skills
- Familiarity with using Google Docs and Sheets, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience working in a CMS (content management system)
- Ability to learn new software and online tools
- Reliable and comfortable working both independently and collaboratively
- Experience working with a writing and editing style guide is a bonus, but not required
- Interest in science and/or the non-profit sector is a bonus, but not required
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. GSA offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and free parking are offered.
This position is located Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, however, during the pandemic, our team works remotely, but we will eventually return to a Pittsburgh-based office.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter and salary requirements with your resume.
For information on the Genetics Society of America (GSA), please visit this site: https://genetics-gsa.org/about-gsa/
GSA is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.