Meter Technician II
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
Description – Meter Technician II
Under the supervision of the Supervisor, Meter Services, installs, repairs, and maintains 5/8" through 6" water meters and provides assistance for working on larger sized meters
Essential functions include:
- Installs, repairs, and maintains 5/8" through 2" water meters and provides assistance for working on larger sized meters.
- Installs 5/8" through 2" outside meters utilizing small hand tools and other equipment.
- Inspects new meter and sub-meter settings to insure they meet Fairfax Water installation standards.
- Inspects outside water services and meter boxes to insure they meet Fairfax Water installation standards.
- Inspects, services, and replaces 5/8" through 2" water meters when a low consumption is noted.
- Installs 5/8" through 2" inside meters, including the wiring and installation of a remote register or touch pad.
- Assists in the repair, replacement, and field testing of larger size inside and outside meters.
- Repairs, cleans, and shop tests 5/8" through 2" meters as required.
- Inspects and makes necessary repairs to hydrant meters returned for the annual inspection program.
- Utilizes SAP, CCS Mobile to maintain records and service orders relating to meter sets, low consumption investigations, and other daily work.
- Gathers GIS/GPS data.
- Graduation from high school and a minimum of one year related experience in the installation, testing, and repair of meters or, any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge.
- Individuals in this job classification are considered Essential Personnel, and, as such, are required to report to work during emergencies and periods of severe weather.
- Basic computer knowledge and the ability to communicate via email.
- General knowledge of residential and commercial plumbing systems.
- Ability to use hand and small power operated tools and equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to bench test and make necessary repairs of 5/8" through 2" water meters.
- Ability to read and interpret ADC maps and distribution systems maps.
- Good communication skills and ability to interact courteously with the public and fellow coworkers.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is also subject to random testing after hire.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
- Ability to respond to emergencies and to work overtime as required.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. This is a temporary position not to exceed 1 year. Applications must be received by April 29, 2021.