Patent Prosecution Legal Secretary
3 days left
- Full Time
Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Patent Prosecution Legal Secretary in the Washington, DC office. The Patent Prosecution Legal Secretary will assist patent prosecution attorneys, Patent Agents, Patent Law Clerks and other IP legal personnel with the administrative and clerical work in support of the IP Prosecution (Patent and Trademark) practice.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing formal documents, USPTO electronic filings, and client communications.
- Maintaining the docket daily for IP attorneys, Patent Agents, Patent Law Clerks and other IP legal personnel.
- Formatting specifications for electronic filings as well as preparing and formatting amendments for electronic filings;
- Setting up new client matters, completing client label requests, and requesting on-site and off-site client files, with assistance from the firm’s Records and Client Intake Departments.
- Typing letters, briefs, memos and various other documents.
- Editing client prebills as directed by the attorney; processing all client billing in accordance with the firm’s policies and procedures, with assistance from the Billing Department.
- Coordinating travel arrangements; scheduling and organizing meetings and appointments; screening and answering telephones; and establishing and maintaining files for the attorneys.
- A minimum of five (5) years of previous relevant IP experience.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite, electronic intellectual property resources, the USPTO website, and IP docketing systems such as Inprotech. Familiarity with SAEGIS and Coresearch is a plus.
- Prior experience acting as a liaison between attorneys and clients.
- Comprehensive knowledge of U.S. patent and trademark prosecution filings.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and excellent oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on accuracy and proofreading.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster .
Arnold & Porter is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Our firm's equal opportunity policy applies to all employment practices and terms and conditions, including, without limitation, recruitment, employment, assignment, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, disciplinary action and terminations. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Arnold & Porter maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.