Senior Vice President of Public Policy
1 day left
- Full Time
Senior Vice President of Public Policy
The National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) has an immediate opening for a Senior Vice President (SVP) of Public Policy to join our team. NFHA is the only national organization dedicated to eliminating housing discrimination and promoting residential integration in America. Founded in 1988, NFHA is a consortium of private, non-profit fair housing organizations dedicated to promoting equal housing, lending, and insurance opportunities through education, outreach, advocacy, training, research, and enforcement. For more information about NFHA, visit www.nationalfairhousing.org.
Position Summary: The SVP of Public Policy is responsible for developing and spearheading a visionary, comprehensive policy strategy for implementing the National Fair Housing Alliance's mission to eliminate all forms of housing discrimination, ensure everyone has decent, stable, affordable housing in well-resourced, opportunity-rich communities free from bias, and support the organization's membership. The SVP will direct, develop, implement, manage, and evaluate NFHA's public policy programs, activities, and initiatives to achieve the organization's goals and objectives. The SVP will also support NFHA's resource development goals; provide thought leadership for the organization; effectively manage and supervise personnel; and implement and conduct oversight of the program budget.
The SVP of Public Policy is a results-driven and experienced public policy professional passionate about advancing civil rights, specifically, fair housing principles. The SVP oversees NFHA's Public Policy department and works collaboratively with all NFHA's departments, membership, and Board of Directors to promote housing equity. The SVP liaises with elected and appointed officials, federal and state agencies, non-profit organizations, public policy think tanks, academicians, and affected people and communities. The SVP also plays a key role in shaping the vision and structure of the Public Policy department, hiring and developing staff, and planning for its growth and sustenance.
- Set the vision for NFHA's public policy goals and objectives, providing excellent leadership for team members and NFHA's membership.
- Lead NFHA's efforts in developing and implementing legislation, policies, rules, and guidance to promote fair housing at the federal and state levels.
- Participation in developing and implementing the organizational strategic plan, ensuring the alignment of program activities with the organization's strategic goals.
- Collaborate with and support NFHA's departments, including Communications, Education & Outreach, Enforcement, Tech Equity, Keys Unlock Dreams, Inclusive Community Development, and Finance & Administration to advance NFHA's public policy goals and organizational mission.
- Collaborate with a wide range of partners to position and leverage NFHA's brand for maximum impact in creating policy and systemic change.
- In concert with the CEO and other NFHA leadership, help fundraise for the organization's public policy activities.
- In concert with the CEO, develop and direct innovative programs, activities, and policies to sustain high-quality standards and programmatic excellence.
- Provide effective management and oversight of the Public Policy department and develop and monitor key performance indicators.
- Keep abreast of the policy landscape affecting fair housing at both the state and national levels.
- In concert with the CEO, COO, and SVP of Finance, develop and manage the Public Policy department budget. Oversee project budgets, funding contracts, procurement, and professional services contracts.
- Hire, manage, mentor, and develop a high-functioning team to fulfill NFHA's public policy goals and objectives.
- Lead communications efforts to advance NFHA's work to include the development and publication of papers, articles, blogs, social media posts, and other fair housing policy documents.
- Ensure NFHA's website accurately reflects NFHA's public policy work.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure, including tools and resources, to support NFHA's public policy work.
- Identify, design, and oversee key research and program analysis.
- Deliver presentations for internal and external audiences on programmatic and policy-related topics.
- Create education and outreach activities and initiatives to advance NFHA's fair housing policy goals.
- Establish and maintain relationships with elected and appointed officials, government representatives, ally organizations, academicians, researchers, public policy think tanks, industry groups, and other key stakeholders to educate them about fair housing issues and collaborate on advancing fair housing goals.
- Other activities to advance fair housing goals.
Membership Support and Development
- Hold convenings for NFHA's membership to collaborate, educate about, and advocate for policies to advance fair housing at the national, state, and local levels.
- Provide support to NFHA members on key public policy issues.
- Master's Degree in Public Policy, Urban Planning, a Law Degree or equivalent experience.
- 15+ years of experience working on fair housing, fair lending, housing equity, and civil rights legislative and regulatory policies.
- Strong networks and contacts at the local, regional, and federal levels.
- Background and a deep understanding of program design, implementation, monitoring, and management.
- Demonstrated experience in achieving systems and community change.
- Experience in developing, implementing, and monitoring strategic and operational plans and excellent planning and analytical skills.
- Successful experience in hiring, developing, motivating, and managing mission-driven, fast-paced, high-functioning teams and experience with conflict resolution.
- Thorough understanding of federal authorization and legislative and regulatory processes.
- Extensive communication expertise with an emphasis on effective writing, public speaking, meeting facilitation, interpersonal communication, and developing and delivering presentations.
- Experience in budget development, management, and oversight.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects at once and adapt to a swiftly changing environment.
- Demonstrated experience using and understanding data to inform decision making.
- Proven ability to work in culturally and ethnically diverse environments.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and organizations, including senior-level corporate, philanthropic, public sector representatives, and community leaders.
- Demonstrated commitment to civil and human rights.
- Ability to represent NFHA in a professional and exceptional manner.
Salary commensurate with experience with health, vision, dental, and retirement benefit plans provided. NFHA is an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in its workforce. Interested applicants should send a resume, salary requirements, and cover letter to:
Attn: Personnel via email at email@example.com. No telephone calls, please.
Applications are due by May 7, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
Apply for Senior Vice President of Public Policy
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly