Equipment Operator I (Refuse Collection)
3 days left
- Full Time
Equipment Operator I
An Equipment Operator I operates one or more types of automotive equipment and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations. Employees in this class are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of several types of automotive equipment. Incumbents may service and make minor mechanical repairs. Assignments are outlined in detail by a supervisor, standard procedures are followed, and work is inspected periodically for safety and economy of operation.
- Operates a refuse collection truck and other light and heavy motor equipment;
- Fills out and turns in daily reports;
- Ensures that safety rules, including proper attire and backing processes are followed;
- Inspects vehicles and performs safety checks daily;
- Occasionally operates truck engaging in sanding icy streets and snow removal;
- Assists in special projects when needed and in various civic associations and community events;
- Responds to citizen inquires and complaints regarding City refuse and recycling services;
- Assists in keeping all equipment clean, reports and malfunctions of equipment to the repair shop;
- Performs other duties as required.
To quality for this position all candidates must possess a High School Diploma or GED; one (1) year of experience in the operation of maintenance and/or construction equipment; some vocational training as related to construction/maintenance field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Ability to perform heavy manual labor in all types of weather; must have a valid Commercial Driver’s License.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, click City of Alexandria to learn more.
This position requires the successful completion of pre-employment testing to include Background Check and DOT Physical/Drug Testing.